rod holder angles and positioning

Default rod holder angles and positioning

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase some rod holders to install in the gunwale and transom bulkhead of my boat. Before I purchase, I thought I would ask the advice of those who have done this before. My question is, what angle seems to work best and in what relation to the center line of the boat. Here is what has occured to me.

Option 1: install 15° or 30° holders mounted 90° from the center line of the boat. This would give the greatest spread for trolling

Option 2: install all 0° holders to reduce the chance of one falling out or being dropped in a scramble to get the rod.

Any advice is welcome. Most of the new boats I see with pre mounted holders tend to be the 0° variety but I'm not sure why.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dsanders View Post
    I'm about to take the plunge and purchase some rod holders to install in the gunwale and transom bulkhead of my boat. Before I purchase, I thought I would ask the advice of those who have done this before. My question is, what angle seems to work best and in what relation to the center line of the boat. Here is what has occured to me.

Option 1: install 15° or 30° holders mounted 90° from the center line of the boat. This would give the greatest spread for trolling

Option 2: install all 0° holders to reduce the chance of one falling out or being dropped in a scramble to get the rod.

Any advice is welcome. Most of the new boats I see with pre mounted holders tend to be the 0° variety but I'm not sure why.

Thanks!
    Not sure where you are seeing 0 deg rod holders in the gunnels, I have never seen one. For your trolling rods you want some angle, for storage you want the 0 deg. You also wont want to orient them at 90 deg because when the strike comes you will be pulling perpendicular to the rods designed angle. Get 15 and 30's , but put them at 45 deg angles on the gunnels for the forward most and 25 deg or so for the after ones. Rod holders are not going to get your lines spread out, even if you put them at 90 deg angle how much are you really going to get an 1" or 2".

If you need more spread use outriggers, planners boards, or the rod holders designed as mini outriggers, called rod riggers.

Blog Entries

Its usual on small boats to use a 6 holder setup, 2 in the transom about on 1/3rds spaceing or convenient for the cranker, 2 in the aft end of the gunnels, forward of those in the transom, 2 further forward so as to be available to a cranker to use at the same time the other gunnel rod is being used. The forward ones in the gunnel angle overboard ~30+ degrees, the aft ones from 0 to ~10 degrees overboard. Forward olders mounted at 0 degrees overboard may be that way due to a narrow gunnel or because the person mounting them doesn't fish. The angles give slightly more spread to the setup, prevents the forward rod from hitting an aft rod at a hookup and makes removing the rod under strain a little easier for the angler. A center holder on small boats is an option I haven't seen used very often, but it is handy for running "WB" Way Back rigs.
    A few thoughts.
    *I like the transom holders to be 15 degree vertical rather than the standard 30. Since you're already bent over, it just seems to be easier to get rods in and out of them when they are that little bit straighter up. A center console is a good place for 15 degree holders so you can walk behind the console without beating your head on rods.
    *Make sure you allow for the angle to be accomodated under deck, particularly when angling overboard. It takes a fairly wide gunnel/washboard to accomodate a 30 degree holder placed at 90 degrees overboard.
    *I bed my holders with silicon because if you ever want to take them off, 5200 will not allow it!! Useing backing plates is a good idea if the gunnels are not re-inforced and are easier to put on as you go rather than a retro job later.
    *There is only one way to bore the holes for mounting the holders -- buy, rent, borrow or steal the jig made for the purpose. Even pay someone to bore them for you if necessary. To do the job quickly and neatly, it takes a very deep hole saw with a VERY long drill bit.
    *Finally, make sure to match the depth of the holders to accomodate the handles on your rods. Too deep and the reels hit on the gunnels and spin around or the handle hits if you crank -- Heaven forbid -- while in the holder.
    Hope everything goes good for you.
    budc
    Last edited by BUDC; 03-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks for the advice! I mounted two of the 15° versions this weekend in the transom and they came out very well.

Blog Entries

Great!!
    I notice too that the 'rodholders on a center console' sentence above should have been talking about the holders on a leaning post or launcher seat.
    Another "Ole'zheimers" moment for me.
    budc