Tidal Fish Forum banner

Chowan River

Fishing Report 
15K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Brianczaw 
#1 ·
Fished Friday trying to catch some catfish. Managed one little one. No big ones. Saw a few perch caught up near gatlington but they were few and far between according to the folks I talked to. Anyone hear any different?

#6 ·
He said about 15 min. Past the island. I would say he was in Va. being that far past, what do you think? This was my first time that far up the Chowan so I'm not sure how far the Va. line is, I talked to him Monday morning and the final count was 89 all on bottom rigs and fishbites none on beetlespins. Whats all the fish in the deep holes that don't bite, herring?

#7 ·
if he wasn't, he was pretty dern close. yeah, they're probably deeper (big numbers) right now. but, there are some to be caught with beetle spins.

herring for white perch? never tried that. always use shrimp, red worms or have tried fish bites, with not a whole lot of luck. shrimp's always my go to bait for targeting perch.

i'm going again in the morning, not all the way to virginia though.

#8 ·
No No No!!!!! I 'm not trying to catch perch with herring, I was wondering what all the fish were that I was marking in the deep holes. They wouldn't bite anything so I figured they were herring, yes shrimp is what we were using with bottom rigs and we tried beetle spins with a little bit of weight too get it down deeper. Good luck tomorrow

#10 ·
A buddy of mine told me yesterday he had talked to someone he knew who was fishing and had two coolers full already. Think he was up the meherrin too. How far up the meherrin you fishing and are the fish you're catching deep or up in shallower water. I ain't much on bottom fishing for perch, would rather cast to em myself.

#12 ·
10-4. May have to head up that way this weekend. I'd been trying to hold off until I heard they were good and thick cause it's a right good hump from Hertford to the ramp up that way, but I'm starting to get a lil itchy. Maybe me and the lip snatching posse can venture that way late Saturday and catch us a mess. Appreciate the info.

#13 ·
Well they ain't in the little river. My friend bought a camper and they have been enjoying staying on weekends on the property and he docks his boat here. Went yesterday and today. Caught one white perch. Wind was up bad here today and still is and i dropped my bay boat at Tom Fosters at Motor tech, in Suffolk for a new trolling motor so got back in time to hear him say the zero word.
He mentioned they are like you guys said, deep and not in the rivers over here yet.
Brim are even behind time this year. The old crew that I use to fish with before I moved up here were here last week. (I was working) and they said it was very very slow so the best is yet to come.
They got to eat sometime. :)

#15 ·
Nearly an hour ain't bad for some folks, but when you have a boat ramp 10 minutes away, you tend to get a little spoiled. The twenty dollar fishing trips turn into quite expensive ventures when you have to travel that far by truck and boat just to catch a handful of perch.

#17 ·
Nope. I haven't heard anything and haven't been able to go to find out for myself. I did notice a lot of boats were at the ramp in Hertford Tuesday afternoon about 5:00. Thought that was a little odd. They must be catching something up the river because the way the wind was blowing, going out past the 17 bridge would have been terrible. Let me know what you do. hopefully, I'll be able to do some fishing this weekend. I haven't been in over a month. Been trying to get the honey dos done and busy with baseball and tball practice. Good luck.

#19 ·
an old man at the boat ramp in Franklin Va yesterday said he had caught some nice cats in the chowan... pretty long haul aint it ? from the Blackwater ramp in Franklin ?

I fished the Branch Bridges Road on the state line today .... water is way high and wicked fast ( Meherrin River)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.