Good Information 17' Chesapeake Bay Wood Crabbing Skiff - Free to good home!
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Fishamajig's Avatar

Default 17' Chesapeake Bay Wood Crabbing Skiff - Free to good home!

I am trying to make my life simpler and as much as I hate to do it, I am parting ways with a really cool 17'- 4" Chesapeake Bay Wood Crabbing Skiff. The boat was built here in St. Mary's County by a Mr. Cooksey (now deceased) in 1980 and is an awesome platform to trotline from. The boat is heavy, tracks straight, quiet as a mouse and has a history of filling Patuxent River bushel baskets of crabs. You can be the proud new owner.

Why am I giving it away?

Because I am giving you a wooden boat - a commitment. Kinda like giving you a dog or cat. Each year requires you to haul the boat out of the water, flip it over, pressure wash the bottom, paint it, flip it over again, paint the topside, and re-float the boat. Some years requires a few hours of removing, manufacturing and re-installing any rotten wood sections and making last minute maintenance. It is not a plywood boat, it is made of wood planks, poplar I believe? Ribs are oak. It's a labor of love. The good news, it's only 17' of maintenance, not 40'.

The boat needs to be kept in the water at all times so you will need to consider that before adoption. The boat is currently moored in a marsh for the winter.

The boat has stick steer and can accept a short or long shaft motor. I cut the transom years ago to accept a short shaft motor, I now run a long shaft motor and for some reason it performs better. It will run with a 5-10 HP just fine, I ran an 18 HP 4 stroke. It is not a planing hull! You supply the motor.

Anyway - if you are interested please b-mail me, I would like to see someone take it who knows what they are getting into. Believe me, she is a joy to crab from, my wife and I spent many mornings scooping crabs from this rig. I will miss the boat, not the work.

Captain Dennis Fleming - Light Tackle Fishing Guide - CCNPP to CBBT & Potomac River (240) 538-1260 http://fishamajigguideservice.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

It is still at my house...he must not want it to bad.
    Captain Dennis Fleming - Light Tackle Fishing Guide - CCNPP to CBBT & Potomac River (240) 538-1260 http://fishamajigguideservice.com

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Do you by any chance have any pics of the boat? Would a 30 horse be too much motor?

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

sent pm 1st dibs

Consider it gone - I have many takers!

After our first message I was unable to recieve anymore PM's. Just give me a ring tomarrow I got my phone straightend out with verizon.

Thanks

Matt

heck yea! I would rather have something like this to get use to the maintenance on a smaller level. Then maybe step up in the future. I'm gonna talk to Jimmy down penns beach about a motor. I saw a nice light wieght 15hp on a stand he was working on. I was thinkn of going vintage but I will probably use this boat allot because it's staying in the water. I still have my auto-bilge and other stuff from my grizzly. Man oh man!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was the original inheritor of this boat. I decided to let someone else have it who would get her ready sooner than I could. Therefore you can thank me, bowmovements, and take me crabbing on it this summer. By the way Dennis has a 16HP motor he might sell you. I am purchasing another outboard off of him so thats off limits bro. I have seen this thing in person but never crabbed on it. it is sweet. - John

man i can't wait to see it. I think I have a O/B lined up

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Quote Originally Posted by BowMovements View Post
    man i can't wait to see it.
    As excited as you are I think you should name your new LOVE
    WOODIE.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast