New guy crab pot question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default New guy crab pot question

I've crabbed with pots before but mostly from the dock and with a rec. license this year I'm going to try and crab different water which means different depths. I use to just tie 7 feet of line to the float and that was great for the area around my dock. I put some pipe in my floats and now I'm wondering whats the best way to attach the line and how to adjust the length without the line coming unwound. I'm sure there is some easy way to do it so you can adjust it quickly and I'm sure there is a right way to do it but with no commercial guys in my cove yet I can't cheat and look at how they do it. Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Pots or traps?

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish crabby and son's Avatar

You can only put 2 crab pots from YOUR pier. You can NOT put crap pots in the cove, creek or river nor can a commercial crabber. A commercial can put his pots in the BAY. If you are talking about collapsible traps, that is a different story. If you are only in your cove than make the line a few feet longer than the deepest water you crab at high tide. The line doesn't need to go straight down. A rec crabber can use 30 traps with a rec license. You don't need a license to put 2 pots from YOUR pier..........Gary
    Last edited by crabby and son; 04-10-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: geezing.........too much pot.......I mean traps
    Every rose has it's thorns.

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    A rec crabber can use 30 pots with a rec license. You don't need a license to put 2 pots from YOUR pier..........Gary
    I think he meant 30 traps....

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    I think he meant 30 traps....
    Yep, That's what the old geezer means......... right Gary?

It sounds to me like Grover123 resides in VA where the POT laws are different from the MD regs.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think that the first question is where to you crab?

If you crab in MD waters what they said.

If you crab in VA waters then you can set two crab pots per person anywhere you want that is not in a marked channel, etc. In the summer the deep water areas in the middle of the bay are off limits. You can also get a 5-pot license. That can be used from June 1st to Sept. 15.

A summary of the rules are at:

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulatio...crabrules.shtm

In VA any trap where the crab can freely crawl in and out is treated like a hand line with no limitation other than keeping them out of marked channels.

I am not all that familiar with the Potomac River rules.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish crabby and son's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    Yep, That's what the old geezer means......... right Gary?

It sounds to me like Grover123 resides in VA where the POT laws are different from the MD regs.
    You GOT me!!! I did mean 30 pots..............I mean traps I just assume that ALL crabbers are from Maryland because MARYLAND IS FOR CRABS I don't think Virginia crabs taste as good and I don't know their laws either I'm going to get my Jerrytol and take a nap now..........Gary
    Every rose has it's thorns.

I Crab in Virginia (not the Potomac) where you can get a 5 pot recreational license and like Tom said you can put them anywhere except marked channels. I'm just trying to figure out how to put the excess line if I'm crabbing shallow on the float quickly and so it doesn't come loose. I figure eight the line now around the float and pvc pipe I put in it but I figured there was a better way. Crabby I lived in Severna Park for 4 years and I agree Md. crabs taste better.

In Va waters you can have 2 pots per person off of your dock w/o a license, or you can buy a rec liscense for 5 pots at $31. Go to VMRC's web site for all the details. Also, and not to start to big of an argument, but Maryland Crabs are really Virginia crabs that migrate up the bay in the spring/summer. The crabs are born in Virgina waters and they spend Nov-Apr in Va waters. The large jimmies prefer sweet lower salinity water in the summer and thats one reason thay they go up the bay to Md. They prefer a salinity around 10-15 parts/million. The Va main stem of the bay is around 20-30 parts/million. Anyway, this Va boy says these are Va crabs

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

When they are in my boat/possession they are MY crabs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast