Question Willoughby Bay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willoughby Bay

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Willoughby Bay

I still wonder about Willoughby Bay--it's such a huge body of water, natural edge on one side; bridge pilings on another; flats and depths, should be a sandy bottom; boat ramp right there--but I never see anyone fishing in there, even when the bay is rough. Maybe since it's like a lake it doesn't get the tidal currents and flushing?

Is it just a big wasteland?

Anyone have thoughts/experience there, or does everyone just go to HRBT since it's right there?

(dragged this off another thread that was drifting....)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It is mostly shallow water and does not hold much in the way of fish---in my experience. The small stripper fishing is good along the pilings of the HRBT at night. Also, nice sized Spot are caught over next to the carrier piers in Sept. and Oct. Flounder are sometimes availalbe in the 30+ ft. water at the entrance to the bay.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Along that "natural edge" you described used to be some great clamming years ago, for all I know they may still be there. I think the structure and lights of the bridge tunnel hold bait better and naturally that's where the fish are going to be. Ambush points for flounder, light lines for stripers and trout and habitat for croaker and spot and other bottom dwellers. I'm like the previous poster, I haven't had much luck in Little Bay.
    CPB

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Spot, croaker, flounder, speckled trout, puppy drum, gray trout, round head and some other species of fish can be caught there depending on the time of year and weather conditions

There is a lot of good fishing at and around the bridge there (HRBT). A variety of species and a great place to catch stripers.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

chevelle and getaway--are you referring to the span along the side of the bay when you say HRBT? I know all about the HRBT from Willoughby to Hampton, just interested in this post about the bayaround the ramp, east (south?) along I-64, along the shore.

The bridge tunnel that goes from Norfolk (Willoughby Spit) to Hampton is the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT). The portion of the bridge between Norfolk and the tunnel is a great place to fish. Especially on an outgoing tide. Along the shore east of the bridge out is good fishing. I have never fished between the bridge and the boat ramp. Croaker and Spot will be all over the river when it gets warmer. Good Luck and post a report.

Quote Originally Posted by home cookin' View Post
    I still wonder about Willoughby Bay--it's such a huge body of water, natural edge on one side; bridge pilings on another; flats and depths, should be a sandy bottom; boat ramp right there--but I never see anyone fishing in there, even when the bay is rough. Maybe since it's like a lake it doesn't get the tidal currents and flushing?

Is it just a big wasteland?

Anyone have thoughts/experience there, or does everyone just go to HRBT since it's right there?

(dragged this off another thread that was drifting....)
    Bringing this back on topic. . . . Willoughby Bay, as you noted, it has a lot of natural edges. Those edges (many reachable by shorebound anglers) are productive, in season, for any species that inhabits the Chesapeake Bay. However, yes, it appears that the majority of that bay is flat and non-productive.

I know this as, being new to boat fishing and loving to launch at Willoughby Ramp, I kept fishing there when the water in the river & bay was a bit rough. I looked for structure both on the maps and the fish-finder (on which I'm NOT an expert) and it appears to be a flat, barren desert for the most part.

That being said - look at those edges - the channels (including over by the Naval Base) and any structure you can find and imagine what types of fish like that structure.

Hope this helps.

I fished that some when I lived up there. I caught puppy drum near the east bank where the rock breakwaters are, flounder under the bridge where the wooden structure is and spot, bluefish and croaker in the creek east of the bridge, just before you get to where the old boat (was?) sunk. That is also a great area to net mullet / gizzard shad in the summer/ fall. Under the cement and rocks on the east beach behind the breakwaters is a great place to gather green crabs on full moon low tides also.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Are there any fish around the second bridge (closest to the ramp)? I would think it would hold a few fish (flounder, etc...). Thoughts or experience? I would be coming from Richmond and if the main bridge tunnel is rough it would work to try this as a fall back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast