CVA Optima...question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default CVA Optima...question

I pulled the following from the CVA website, all pertinent info for you: (Note: if the gun ain't a Magnum, don't use more than 100 grains!!!)

2. What is the best projectile for my CVA rifle?

Answer: By far, the best performing projectile we have ever tested is the new PowerBelt™ Bullet -- which is probably best described as a bullet/sabot hybrid. Like sabots, the PowerBelt™ Bullet's patented snap-on plastic base creates a perfect gas seal, providing consistent pressures and unsurpassed accuracy. But unlike sabots, PowerBelt™ Bullets are full caliber sized, easy to load, and do not require cleaning after every shot. The PowerBelt™ is not a pistol bullet dressed up for use in a muzzleloader -- they are designed for muzzleloaders. In our tests the performance has been so superior that the PowerBelt™ Bullet has made sabots obsolete. PowerBelt™ Bullets are available in either copper-clad or pure lead. And, PowerBelt™ Bullets are legal in almost every state, including Colorado.

25. What kind of accuracy can I expect at 100 yards?

Answer: Accuracy depends on many factors, including the shooter and the equipment being used. When the powder charge, projectile, and barrel are matched up properly, most experienced shooters can achieve 2” groups or better at 100 yards with a CVA rifle. The optimal projectile for maximum accuracy with a CVA rifle is the PowerBelt™ Bullet.

27. If I use more powder in my gun, will I get better accuracy?

Answer: No. The maximum recommended charge for a standard .45 or .50 caliber CVA rifle is 100 grains of loose powder (FFG or equivalent). .45 and.50 caliber CVA magnum bolt action rifles can safely handle a charge of three (3) 50 grain Pyrodex® Pellets. The maximum recommended load for a .54 caliber CVA rifle is 120 grains of loose powder or Pyrodex Pellets. Exceeding the recommended powder charges is extremely dangerous and will void the manufacturer’s warranty.

28. How do I determine the best powder charge/projectile combination for my gun?

Answer: The best way to determine the most accurate load for a particular gun is to pick a projectile and start with a minimum powder charge – 60 grains FFG for .45 and.50 cal., 70 grains FFG for .54 cal. Shoot several groups of three shots, recording the results on paper. Increase the powder charge by five (5) grains and repeat the shots, again recording the findings. Repeat this process until the maximum recommended load is reached – 100 grains FFG for .45 and .50 cal.(150 grains if "Magnum"), 120 grains FFG for .54 cal. The optimum load using this particular projectile is the one that produced the most consistent three-shot groups. Because projectile size, type, and weight can affect accuracy, it is best to repeat the process from the beginning to determine the optimum load for different projectiles. The CVA Staff has found the PowerBelt™ Bullet to be the top performing projectile in our In-Line rifles. Our standard charge is 100 grains of Pyrodex Pellets.

http://www.cva.com/faq/index.htm#1

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Mighty,
    I read that, and it looks pretty faugue. I was hoping to find a forum for Owners of CVA's, to ask questions.

Try this link. I got it off of a blackpowder forum and the topic was: "What happened to the CVA Forum?" I cannot bring it up on my machine, but maybe it will work on yours. Oh by the way, if you have an Optima Pro, it is Magnum compatible (150 grain allowed). I was confused because it doesn't say "Magnum" on my barrel, but the serial number and model type indicates that it is a magnum gun. Great, now I have to resight it in before blackpowder opens up this weekend (in NC)...

http://www.cva.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Here is the forum I got it from:

http://www.txhuntfish.com/flexiforums/thread.cfm?pid=4564&sid=31&fid=25

Once again, good luck.

Here's my experiences w/ all the powder/bullet hoorah. For what it's worth of course. First off Powerbelts...never been impressed. Know a few folks who can get them to shoot decent, but the majority, including myself have had terrible experiences with accuracy out of them. They're underbored for all of the guns I've owned. And I'm guessing the belt on the back wasn't enough to give the bullet any type of consistency. Meaning they rattled down the barrel when I loaded them, and I'm guessing rattled out of the barrel when I pulled the trigger. As far as bullets go I haven't seen very many guns at all that wouldn't shoot the 240gr xtp's. Most have shot them very well. I shot them for a while and killed several deer with them. Just for S&G one day I went out and decided to try the 250gr SST's. They shot just as good in my gun and I cut 4" off of my drop at 150yds. Killed 4 deer with that bullet in one particular gun. Remmy 700. I'm particularly interested in the bullets that Precision Rifle puts out. Theres a bunch of them, but I haven't had the time to try any of them. I know of one person that shoots them and he hasn't had any complaints. He's shooting the .40 cal 220gr Dead Center. As far as powder goes...man that 777 is good stuff! I found it to be roughly 10% hotter than pyrodex. How did I come to that conclusion? I used to own a Model 700 that was as good a shooter of a ML as I've ever seen. When I backed it down to 80gr of pyrodex I could literally shoot 1/2" groups. I hunted with 110gr of pyrodex though, which would normally shoot within 1 1/2" at 100. If I shot anything more then 110 my groups would open right up. With the 777 I saw the same exact results except with smaller charges. 777 is so much easier to clean than regular pyrodex. I do however like to use loose powder. I like being able to critique my loads down to 5gr increments if I want to. It's also cheaper. And really not much more trouble when you use the quick loads. In all of the guns I've seen, and all of the people I BS w/ it seems that 95% of the time most ML's will shoot the best in the 80-120gr range with powder. Any less really isn't quite enough to hunt w/, and any more it seems that the groups open up. Of course thats not always though. Anyways...I love shooting those things, I wish I had more time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23