Fishing Report Rappahannock River at #8
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock! Son Worshiper's Avatar

Default Rappahannock River at #8

I went out yesterday just before midday to try my hand at flounder fishing... I fished between Greenvale Creek & #8 for a while and then moved to just in front of #8.

I was drifting slow (<1mph) with a minnow/squid sandwich but I never saw a flounder. What I did see were some large croakers. I took home 4 croakers in the 1.5 to 2.0 lbs range. They took the minnows!

Since they have to be 19" to keep I don't know if it's really worth it but I like trying nonetheless. I always use hooks that'll rust out quickly because when I do catch them I catch a lot of short flounders and they're often hooked pretty deep.

Oh well... I had fun!
    Son Worshiper
    Northern Neck - Lancaster Co., VA - Greenvale Creek
    2006 SeaFox 257CC - "Son Worshiper"
    225 Saltwater Merc OB
    MMSI: 338084484 (Auto Location Response)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

18 1/2 inch is the size limit Son Worshiper

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I got 3 Sunday morning, biggest went 16 1/2 I think at least 2 more weeks. I was at the mouth of the river.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Keep working the flounder i had my first sucess of the year on sunday 6 fish including a 191/2 and a 21 out of Gynns Island in shallow water all on gulp. I agree not many keepers on this side but they do exist.

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock! Son Worshiper's Avatar

I've never had much luck in the river with flounders. I can catch 'em but I just can't keep 'em.

When the limit was 16" I caught all the 15" flounders... When it went to 18" I caught nothing but 17 1/2" flounders... They're getting bigger but the limit keeps going up too so I pretty much gave up on them.
    Son Worshiper
    Northern Neck - Lancaster Co., VA - Greenvale Creek
    2006 SeaFox 257CC - "Son Worshiper"
    225 Saltwater Merc OB
    MMSI: 338084484 (Auto Location Response)

I put a bigger piece of squid on when Im catching small flounder. Ill put the whole squid on sometimes.

If I have any luck flounder fishing, it is watching for lil drop offs with outgoing tide. I try to find rough bottom vs. smooth muddy. Always better drifting for me. Nevertheless, I am best at fishing for whatever will bite on the end of my line. If I'm using large bait, I dont hesitate to also fish with smaller size and lighter rods...that small one you catch is good bait for the big ones. Hope to see some of you out there this weeeknd on the Rappa and on the Bay.