How Long does deer meat stay good
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Big Cat's Avatar

Default How Long does deer meat stay good

I was wondering how long it is safe to leave the uncooked meat in a refrigerator before you freeze it. I decided to soak some meat that was really bloody and I have some other meat that I would like to eat fresh. Just not sure how long I can wait. Is a week too long?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

about two days is how long I soak the meat

Easily a week. If the edges brown up a bit you can trim them down to the nice red. I had a roast last night from a deer last week. About 2 minutes worth of trimming and it was great. I have never soaked my meat though. I usually rinse it prior to preparing to cook. I dry it with paper towels prior to freezing with a vacum sealer.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

About a week...

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Many people age their venison in the fridge for about a week then filet the darkened outer crust that forms before freezing. Me, out of the fur and into the fire. No aging and no soaking. Unless it's in a marinade.[grin]

For the first part, I would say a few days in the fridge at the most. Secondly, I don't soak anything!! Do you soak a bottom round roast that you just bought at the food store before you cook it?? I didn't think so!! Deer is deer, beef is beef, chicken is chicken, etc. Variety and flavor is the spice of life![excited]

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

A full week in the frig. is fine. Just don't then freeze it, thaw it, and then let it sit in the frig. for several more days.

It's all about time and temperature. They say never to thaw and then re-freeze meat, but it is perfectly safe to do so as long as you keep track of the total number of days that it's been thawed.

I work for a poultry company. We have done many tests for shelf life of product. Chicken stays unspoiled for 12 days from kill date under normal refigeration. However, most game is not chilled within 20 minutes of killing as a processed chicken is.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

A week is fine. I don't soak meat either. If its a bloody piece it is ground for sausage or burger. Try not soaking and you will love it. You must trim ALL the fat off or it will ruin the taste of your meat.

DEAN

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Big Cat's Avatar

Thanks for the answers.

I wasn't asking about soaking it. I usually don't but I want to soak the really bloody peices.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Scott, don't worry too much about the care and handling of the meat. I believe it goes bad immediately at the time of kill. Never have had any that taste good. I love to hunt 'um, but I ain't eating it.

Dayton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast