Remington ML 700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Remington ML 700

Has anyone had problems with the ML700 not hitting the cap hard enough to ignite? If so what did you do to fix it? I have been told that you can change to a 209 primer but it looks like Remington has dicontinued the primer kit. Dose anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Default Remington ML 700

I had the same problem. I'd pull the trigger and recycle the bolt a second time before it would hit and ignite. It seemed like you couldn't get the primer on the nipple far enough to insure ignition by the bolt. The second time always did the trick. Kinda tough though, especially when you have a deer right below you. I found no fix and sold the rifle.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Remington ML 700

My buddy has had the same problem with his Rem 700 ML that has the 209 conversion, but his problem was probably oxidation and soot build-up......I think lubrication was the trick.
    Those springs have alot of tension but it does not take much friction to slow up a striker (firing pin)......I have seen it a million times in my line of work.

Cabelas has the conversion kit
    $39.99 ( a little pricey for what you get?)
    (probably same place jjj got his....he is on this board and might chime in with more)
    Until then spray lube the hell out of it, clean it, then lube it lightly.

Mark

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Remington ML 700

had same problem last year. now the bolt is froze up. cant find a anyone that sells the whole bolt. remington told me that it was spring problem.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Remington ML 700

I switched my REM ML to the 209 and had three missfires. The gun was clean, no oil, etc. I tried everything. It was a random thing which pi$$ed me off, so I bought the encore.

Default Remington ML 700

I had the problem with the #11 nipples, all I did was change the nipple and all was cool after that and has been for the last three seasons. I bought the youth model of the ML700 for the kids, what a sweet gun, it feels just like the full size I got for my father and I.

Default Remington ML 700

Greentop can get you a replacement bolt. You dont really need to replace the bolt sheeth. Just the bolt guts. W/ the spring and all. Make sure you dont have a bunch of build up in the pin cavity that actually strikes the nipple.

Default Remington ML 700

Switch out the standard nipple to the red Hot nipple - not only does it sound great when you talk to your friends but it opens up the hole - I haven't had a misfire since I changed over about two years back. Now if I could only get them to walk under my stand.

Also, make sure your bolt is not sprung - I have had that issue as well and it takes a steady hand and a screw driver or a special tool you can get at GTop as well to fix it. Check the alingment at the end - it should be snug in the slot and you should not be able to see threads.

Feeshon

Default Remington ML 700

I use the 209 on my .45 and no. 11 cap on my .54 with no problems. I found that the Remington no. 11 caps were somewhat weak.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Remington ML 700

I switched my Knight over to Musket caps because they did not offer the 209 conversion at the time. It's one of the original Knight Inlines. Still don't know if it's available for that gun.

I shoot a German brand musket cap available at BPS, I can't remember the name. The guy there told me they are worth every penny, they're about twice the price of the regular musket caps. I've had the same pack for three years now and have NEVER had a misfire. Not in the woods or multiple shots on the range.

Great I just jinxed myself for a late season Sika hunt. THANKS!!!

Is there a Musket cap conversion available for the 700? May be an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast