Tidal Fish Forum banner

Remington ML 700

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  jjj 
#1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the ML700 not hitting the cap hard enough to ignite? If so what did you do to fix it? I have been told that you can change to a 209 primer but it looks like Remington has dicontinued the primer kit. Dose anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks for your help

#2 ·
I had the same problem. I'd pull the trigger and recycle the bolt a second time before it would hit and ignite. It seemed like you couldn't get the primer on the nipple far enough to insure ignition by the bolt. The second time always did the trick. Kinda tough though, especially when you have a deer right below you. I found no fix and sold the rifle.

#3 ·
My buddy has had the same problem with his Rem 700 ML that has the 209 conversion, but his problem was probably oxidation and soot build-up......I think lubrication was the trick.
Those springs have alot of tension but it does not take much friction to slow up a striker (firing pin)......I have seen it a million times in my line of work.

Cabelas has the conversion kit
$39.99 ( a little pricey for what you get?)
(probably same place jjj got his....he is on this board and might chime in with more)
Until then spray lube the hell out of it, clean it, then lube it lightly.

Mark

#8 ·
Switch out the standard nipple to the red Hot nipple - not only does it sound great when you talk to your friends but it opens up the hole - I haven't had a misfire since I changed over about two years back. Now if I could only get them to walk under my stand.

Also, make sure your bolt is not sprung - I have had that issue as well and it takes a steady hand and a screw driver or a special tool you can get at GTop as well to fix it. Check the alingment at the end - it should be snug in the slot and you should not be able to see threads.

Feeshon

#10 ·
I switched my Knight over to Musket caps because they did not offer the 209 conversion at the time. It's one of the original Knight Inlines. Still don't know if it's available for that gun.

I shoot a German brand musket cap available at BPS, I can't remember the name. The guy there told me they are worth every penny, they're about twice the price of the regular musket caps. I've had the same pack for three years now and have NEVER had a misfire. Not in the woods or multiple shots on the range.

Great I just jinxed myself for a late season Sika hunt. THANKS!!!

Is there a Musket cap conversion available for the 700? May be an option.

#11 ·
My buddy has had more miss fires with his Rem ML that I can not beleive he has not relagated it to a drift anchor. He uses the caps but was going toconvert to the 209. Obviously that is not the fix either. I have a cheap NEF huntsman that shots 2" groups all day long and has never failed to go off.

#12 ·
I do not think it is the cap, as much as it is the gun. It seems that you can not the musket cap onto the nipple far enough. The first shot, which ends up being a mis-fire, only pushes that cap further onto the nipple which is needed in order for it to fire on the second shot. Than, it's a "mother F'er" to get the burnt cap off. Perhaps try taking a little bit off the nipple itselfs with some sand paper or a dremel. If the cap goes on all the way and snug, you should have a problem anymore. I didn't go that far, I just sold the gun to get something with out a bolt. Optima is what I bought. The bolt action guns foul up too fast, and the cap thing was the last straw for me.

#13 ·
When putting the bolt back together after cleaning, there is a small rounded stud that must line up and go into the notch on the bolt housing towards the rear of the bolt. Thread the piece with the spring into the housing until tight, take the penny out of the grove in the rear then turn counter clockwise until the "stud" snaps into the notch. Failure to do so will cause the pin to not contact the cap thus no ignition to the powder.

#16 ·
like mark said previously, ive had my share of problems but they are mostly self inflicted. the biggest problem is the only way to clean the firing pin is while the gun is fully assembled.once you remove the bolt the pin recedes, making it inaccesable. just make sure it is as clean as possible, and dry fire it to make sure you are getting a good SNAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.