Question Fresh water reels in saltwater??? Looking for a baitcaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fresh water reels in saltwater??? Looking for a baitcaster

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried using fresh water reels in salt water. My Shimano spinning
    reels are technically for fresh water, but have held up fine. I'm in the market for a new bait caster,
    it looks like the salt water options are few and very pricey. I was wondering how most fresh water reels hold up in the salts?
    Any suggestions on the bait caster.

Thanks, Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I have an abu garcia C3 baitcaster that i've been using in the bay for 5 years now. No problems. I even used it on vacation in Florida for a week a couple times. I spray it off with fresh water after using it and don't store it on the boat around the saltwater. I got a Daiwa Tierra spinning reel this year. It's listed as a freshwater reel but i suspect it will hold up fine too.

just spray it with fresh water after using it, then it should last a long time

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been using this reel for the last few seasons and its held up great. Got some nice fish on it too! Not as smooth as the Revo's but for the money its a good choice.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-0

Give it a freshwater rinse down after each use and you should be good to go

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Tim,
    Last year I bought the Daiwa SF 100HA Strikeforce and man do I really like this reel. It has a 7:1 gear ratio, 8.8 lb of drag weights 8.3oz and retrieves 31” of line on one crank. I have this on my new 6’2” rod that I just built and it a great set up and for $50.00 you can’t beat it. Just check this one out http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Daiw...ast-sf100h.htm
    Last edited by Steve F; 06-14-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Wrong model number

I have used the Pflueger President reel for 3-4 years on the bay and it is awesome. Its as smooth as the day I bought it...

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Personally, I look for the lightest reels with higher gear ratios. Seems most of the baitcasters in the $100 range are fine for the Bay. Just be sure to rinse them off, along with the rod they're attached to, after EVERY trip.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Don't know if your looking into a round reel or the newer low profile style? I've picked up a couple of the Garcia Revo's Inshore model off ebay for as low $128, new in the box with papers. I don't have much luck typically, might have been a timing thing with the holiday weekend.... Oh well they were a great buy, (msrp 229) locally Greentop has them at $169 shipped to your door. Never thought I would migrate from Shimano, and Daiwa but this Revo line of reels is impressive, from high speed to low speed crank'in power, RH or LH, power handles, and impressive drag. The low profile fits well especially for one with smaller hands, not affiliated in any way just like'em.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I use and like the shimano cardiff 400. Have had it for few seasons now and still spins smooth. Can usually be had for less then MSRP on ebay.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

About every light tackle angler I know uses freshwater reels. I have a Revo Inshore but don't see too much difference between it and my other Revo reels. I like ABU baitcasting reels. I also like Shimano Calcuttas finding them better casting but less durable. Also, seriously consider the BPS baitcasters. The ProQualifer is my favorite. Not as good as Revo, but close. They aren't anymore durable than anything else, but you can take them back and get a new one on the spot. I rarely get a reel to last more than a year anyway, so I get a new one every year. Like everyone else said, wash them after every trip. You also want to develop a very good relationship with Ralph Reelsmith. He's done some amazing repair work for me and he usually has several of my reels to be repaired in rotation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast