Tidal Fish Forum banner

Can you have an owl stuffed ?

28K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave Sikorski 
#1 ·
A very small owl flew into the side of a van in front of our house last night and died instantly. The question is my brother wanted to take it to a taxidermist but I told him I didn't think it was legal ?? Does any body know ? It's pretty cool lookin and it's real small like 10 or 12 inches tall , anyone know what kind it is ? Thanks for any replies. Dan

#4 ·
I f I am not mistaken the posession of an owl is illegal even if it is found dead. I believe they are all protected species. I would suggest finding a discreet way of finding out.

Seems to me I was at an animal show or something and they made a commetn about an owl that they had that was acquired prior to being outlawed. Of course wildlife rehab facilities are exempt.

#8 ·
The only thing that you may "possess" of a raptor is its memory. Even ONE feather will possibly bring down Fish and Wildlife upon your head. You will not find a taxidermist to mount one because he risks arrest for doing so, UNLESS it is for a naturalist museum or some educational organization that has a Federal permit.

I'm a carver and if you want to work on a protected species you must borrow mounts or go to places that have them or have a Federal license to "possess".

Sorry about the bird....but that bird is a heap of trouble....possess it in your heart and mind.....don't have it in your physical possession.

#10 ·
You have to have special permission. I had a friend who had a fawn mounted from a doe that was hit on the road. The fawn was never born, but was taken from inside the doe. He had to get permission and keep the paper work with him forever. I do not know how hard it was to get or how he got it. He was a Taxidermist and had the fawn displayed in his studio. This was 20 years ago and in Alabama. I would say that the chance of doing the same in 2006 in Va is slim to none.

Eric

#12 ·
It is illegal to possess the owl without a permit. Individuals who are not associated with a legitimate educational facility are not going to be granted a permit. This includes live, frozen, or taxidermist specimens of the federally protected raptors (hawks, owls, eagles). In fact, as someone pointed out, possession of any parts (feathers, talons, etc) is illegal.

You may, however, donate it to a local educational institution for their use in wildlife education programs/classes. The institution would have to obtain a permit to possess the animal. They'd start by calling our HQ at 410-260-8540.

The fawn scenario is different because deer are not federally protected.

Hope that helps.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.