Tidal Fish Forum banner

Steel Shot Long barrel need some advise

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jfish 
#1 ·
Thought this would be a good place to get the straight and skinny on a steel shot question.
Beginning to look like I may be going goose hunting next weekend with a fellow TFer and will need to pick up some shot. It has been many years since my last goose trip, actually back in the lead shot days... I would like to use my favorite old goose gun from days past but have never shot any steel through it. Here's the question. It happens to be a 32" full choke (3" chamber) and I was wondering what the deal was regarding shooting steel through such a long, full choke barrel? As far a #2 lead it was a great bird gun years ago and of course that is why I was leaning toward carrying it next weekend. Can I shoot steel through such a long barrel or should I look toward carrying one of my shorter barreled screw in choke guns? Any advise from guys that shoot a lot of steel would help on this one.. Thanks JIM

#5 ·
Steel would likely cause or a barrel buldge so...

Kent Matrix 2s . Won't harm your barrel and will stone 'em. Yes, you can kill birds at a distance with these and hevishot but shooting in the lips (when you can see their lips) is much, much more effective.

Your A5 will like these shells and might even think it was back on a lead diet.

#6 ·
We shoot steel shot through or browning every time we go with no bulge.Improved cylinder would be a much better choice with hard steel shot.Heavy shot or one of the more expensive blends that have some of the same properties of lead and not hard like steel would probably be your best choice for shooting your trusty ole goose gun.I hope you have a smoking trip.

#9 ·
I wouldn't recommend shooting steel through your gun either. It probably wouldn't hurt it shooting steel one time, but like mentioned before your pattern isn't going to be much to brag about. Bismuth, or matrix would be the way to go. Hevi shot would be worse than shooting steel on your gun as it is harder. If you didn't want to plop the cash for the Hevi-shot for one of your other guns then I would go with fast steel in the 1500+fps range and anything from BB's on up. Light modifiend and modified choke. BB's will kill them out to 40yds.

#11 ·
as has been said, bismuth and kent matrix. The pattern on steel not only falls apart in tight chokes, but the steel also damages gun barrels when they are choked that tight. Once or twice you won't do much damage, but if you ever shoot in volume, you should either use Bismuth or Matrix, or breakdown and buy a modern shotgun with choke tubes.

#12 ·
You guys have cleared up some of my questions and now I just have to decide which I will select or how much money I want to spend?? Sounds like I will not be shooting steel through that barrel mostly due to pattern issues.. The matrix, hevishot, bizmuth stuff is HIGH! OUCH! Two bucks a shot does make you take a tighter aim doesn't it? lol lol .... Heck I have a 1100 with a mod choke, it's only 2 3/4" but I have a box of steel already on the shelf. May just grab that combo and go with it. Thanks for the responses..
JIM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.