Need Advice - Would like to learn how to build a rod
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Need Advice - Would like to learn how to build a rod

I don't know all of the rules of posting, so if I screw up, please let me know and excuse me.

I've never built a rod before, but would really like to build one--seems like it would be very satisfying to catch a fish with something I built--kind of like lures but better. The problem is I just don't know where to start. A friend of mine told me about Mudhole, so I went to the site and checked them out, did a lot of internet reading, I read a lot of the threads on this Forum. and watched a few videos. That doesn't qualify me to build a rod by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to start somewhere.

I would like to build a spinning rod for Light Tackle Jigging. Do you guys have a recommendation for rod building equipment, materials, or a kit? Any suggestions for length, rod action, power, materials, etc. would really be helpful. I was thinking maybe a 7' medium-heavy power, fast tip, 2 piece grip but I may be way off. I asked about carbon fiber grips on another post, but then thought that's putting the cart before the horse. With money being a little harder to hang onto these days, I really am trying not to waste it--so I would like to buy the right stuff the first time.

Thanks for any help you can provide--I really appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by FLATLINER View Post
    Where do you live?
    I sent you a PM--thanks!

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gotta Fish...where do you live?
    Last edited by Marlinmate; 10-04-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: email notification

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have the same situation as Gotta Fish. I was directed to Mudhole and given a breif demo by a repair shop owner. I got the book he reccomended, Rod Building Basics, and believe I have a general idea how to build. I intend to start off with something cheap enough to allow for the idea that my first attempt wont result in a rod that I'll be inclined to get much use out of. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in DC.

If you want to one over to the shore, I live about 20 minuted from the bay bridge.

Let me know and come on over!