Question Gill Tubular Outboard Bracket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gill Tubular Outboard Bracket

Anyone use these?
    They're a fraction of the price of an Armstrong and are supposed to have the same benefits (fuel economy, etc.).
    I know somebody will disagree, but I think they're pretty cool looking too!
    Could also be possible to enclose the tubes into a kind of box with a little welding.

I don't see very many on the Bay though... any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GillBracket.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	44584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GillBrackets.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	44585  

Z28YJ is offline Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I spent a moment or two with the Google, but was unable to find pricing on them. How much are they? I think I could build a set pretty easily.

I like to be able to stand on the bracket incase I have to untangle a line out of a prop or pull the engine cowl out on the water to check the engine incase of a failure or other concern. I am not sure you can do it on the tubular kind. Plus you get more surface area of the bracket against the transom. Just a couple considerations
    >>Trophy Season Charters: www.iFishMD.com <<

It's been a few years, but a fishing buddy of mine had one of these put on his boat after a transom rebuild. I am not sure how long it took, but it rusted out from the inside out. Of course there are lots of reasons why that may have happened, maybe the materials were inferior to what is used now, etc. Just one example.

Blog Entries

Gill is no longer in business,
    I have an armstrong bracket, retrofit from an I/O ,very happy with it

My interest was sparked by one I found that looks similar to the beefier brackets in the truckbed pic... It has a nice powder paint coating and looks fairly sturdy.
    I could see about rust getting inside them, however, if they weren't properly sealed at their attachment to the transom. Dealing with tangles or taking off the cowling may present a problem too... I'll will definitely keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28YJ View Post
    I spent a moment or two with the Google, but was unable to find pricing on them. How much are they? I think I could build a set pretty easily.
    Same difficulty in finding info on them... I'm really curious to see what they look like mounted on a transom.

If you're serious about a tubular bracket, pm me some contact info and we'll talk.

Z28YJ- I've already found one... just not sure if it's something thats worth getting.
    I was mainly looking for input by folks that may have experience with them.
    Thanks anyway though.

No problem. A buddy and I are kicking around the idea of starting a part-time metal fabrication business. Those brackets look like an easy weekend project. Let me know if you buy one, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast