Good Information Fletcher's Cove and Potomac River Fishing presented by Mike Bailey - 2-16-11 in Vienna, VA - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gary, you just reminded me of days filled with carrying bucket after bucket of herring back to the truck at Chain Bridge during the spring run. To this day I hate the forsythia tree . I used to dread seeing it bloom because that meant we would be on the river for days on end snagging herring and perch (adults snagged and kids carried buckets of herring ) to take home to the women folk to clean and salt . It was a family affair . the only good part was that when herring season was over that meant we would be butchering hogs. (nothing better than pig brains and row with eggs for breakfast) . Sometimes when the adults got lazy and used the big nets at Fort Washington did it get better !! We kids only had to carry buckets of herring about 500 yards to the trucks on dry land instead of fighting the high water at Chain Bridge .
    Good to remember about the good "OL days '

Spank

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish crabby and son's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WV Crabber View Post
    Gary, you just reminded me of days filled with carrying bucket after bucket of herring back to the truck at Chain Bridge during the spring run. To this day I hate the forsythia tree . I used to dread seeing it bloom because that meant we would be on the river for days on end snagging herring and perch (adults snagged and kids carried buckets of herring ) to take home to the women folk to clean and salt . It was a family affair . the only good part was that when herring season was over that meant we would be butchering hogs. (nothing better than pig brains and row with eggs for breakfast) . Sometimes when the adults got lazy and used the big nets at Fort Washington did it get better !! We kids only had to carry buckets of herring about 500 yards to the trucks on dry land instead of fighting the high water at Chain Bridge .
    Good to remember about the good "OL days '

Spank
    They are some good memories! That's right. The forsythia and dogwood blooms. The kids today will never experience it. let me know if you want to go and catch some herring. I launch out of Graveley Pt at National Airport. I promise I won't make you haul buckets. Pig brains, roe and eggs does sound good though. Might have to settle for scrapple!.Duane Evans from Chemlawn is on this site. He is living in Taylorsville. We need a reunion!...........Gary
    Every rose has it's thorns.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

A couple of months late but I'm new to this site and just saw this post.
    This reminded me of the funny times when I was a kid in DC, (during the Eisenhower admin.). During the herring runs we would take the bus from far southeast to downtown then get on a streetcar to Fletcher's. From Fletcher's we hiked up the river/canal to Chain Bridge. Scooped an army bag full of herring with a long handled net, snagged a few more with a glass rod and an Ocean City reel spooled with twine and a big treble (snag) hook. Then carried it all back home on the streetcar/bus in middle of the afternoon traffic.
    Hoping to get to know some of you fellas in the days ahead.

Easy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23