Question How to know how much line you've put on your reels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default How to know how much line you've put on your reels?

I'm going to re-line all my reels this week with 80lbs braid. How do you figure out how much line you have on your reel? I know your suppose to put around 225-300 yards of line on but how do you know when that much line is on?

I have a penn 330, two 320's and 3 309's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Charlie S's Avatar

80lb braid has a diameter equivilent to X lb mono, depending on the brand you are using. 80 is usually close to 12lb mono. Check your reels for their capacity #'s. You will then have a good idea of the amt of braid you will need. ie, a 330 has a capacity of 350yds of 30lb mono, so filling one with braid is going to take alot !!!! You might want to consider putting a "top-shot' of braid over a mono base.
    Capt. Charlie Schneider ,Big Will Charters
    Tilghman Is. MD Cell 443 786 4324.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think that I am going to do this to the rest of my reels too. How much mono backing should I put on there? and how much braided should I throw on there? Thanks for the help!

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

The reel question is how far is the maximum you put line out? If your longest line is 25 bars then you need 30 bars on that reel......a general rule of thumb some use is 1 1/2 times the furthest the rod will be put out. Braids expensive so top-shotting's the way to go. Fill the reel about 2/3 to 3/4 then finish off with braid.....BTW a 330 is about 11 feet/bar, 320's and 309's are about 10 feet/bar.
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Charlie S's Avatar

CP....listen to Capt. Steve....he knows what he's talking about. You have to experiment with your own gear but it's not rocket science. Just be sure you don't over-load the reel. Also make sure your mono backing is put on under tension, too loose and the braid will bury itself into it. You should be fine !
    Capt. Charlie Schneider ,Big Will Charters
    Tilghman Is. MD Cell 443 786 4324.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

First step is to buy a line counter - or two.
    They cost about $15.00 but are well worth it.

A good all around set up for trolling reels is to use 40 or 50 lb mono first. Reel it on tight until the spool is about 3/4 full.

Now tie your 50 , 65 or 80 lb braid to the mono with a back to back Uni knot. Buy the 300 yd spools of braid.

Carefully wind on 300 FEET ( 100 yds ) of braid - using the line counter. Be sure to adjust it so the braid spins the counter.

Using 300 feet will give you three reel fill ups per braid spool. Three hundred feet is plenty and allows for cutting back - tangles.

Most spring lines are set out 100 to 200 feet - the WWWB is 300 feet - just let out until your Uni knot shows.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't think I'd waste the money on 80Lb braid when 50 or 65 will MORE then do the job. Those reels were never meant to take that kind of load without modification. If someone cranks up the drag all the way, it's gonna damage the reel's drag washers.
    Don't forget about the ability for braid to cut your hands/fingers. Most of us have the scares to prove it.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Grady23 View Post
    I don't think I'd waste the money on 80Lb braid when 50 or 65 will MORE then do the job. Those reels were never meant to take that kind of load without modification. If someone cranks up the drag all the way, it's gonna damage the reel's drag washers.
    Don't forget about the ability for braid to cut your hands/fingers. Most of us have the scares to prove it.
    I agree. #65 is more than enough to catch anything that swims from a strength stand point but #80 does has some advantages.

1. #80 not going to cut you. Itís the same diameter as #17 monofilament.
    2. #80 eliminates any problems with roller guides, although Iíve never had a problem with #65 either.
    3. #80 doesn't dig into the spool. Donít have to worry about keeping the line tight on the spool, etc.
    4. The larger diameter doesnít wear on the guides as bad. You can get away with inexpensive aluminum Oxide guides under most circumstances.

The drag is a simple clutch mechanism. There is nothing really to damage. The pinion gear is the weak link. On the 3XX GTi series Pennís youíre looking at pinion failure in the low to mid-#20 range. Most stock reels have a hard time making #15 of drag so the drag protects the pinion under normal circumstances. The worst case scenario would be for the drag to lock up which typically is a maintenace issue. At that point it doesnítí matter if you use #50 or #550 line. Any line over #20 has the capacity to strip a pinion.

I Like Dacron for backing as it dosen't crush like mono , But then again i'm a Dinasouir

Agree w/Dacron, AND the "pluses" of using 80 lb. over 65 lb. braid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast