Tidal Fish Forum banner

A week at the Little Retreat on Kerr Lake

Fishing Report 
5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jig monster 
#1 ·
Had a great week just hanging out and fishing with my son on Kerr Lake thanks to a fellow TFer who suggested the cabins at the Little Retreat outside Clarksville, VA. We didn't have a boat, but were happy to just relax on the docks for the week. I think that we caught more fish than most of those out on boats anyway :)) . We used double sets of #4 J-hooks with night crawlers and 8/0 circle hooks with chunked bait on the bottom in 10 FOW. We caught everything but bass and crappie. Bringing in more than enough for a couple of good fish dinners at the camp and enough fish to last us for the next month or so here at home. Mostly, we caught white perch, but we also managed a handful of really nice cats; a flathead at 30", a few blues, one at 23.5" and two at 25", and a bunch of channel cats around 18-20". We even managed a two pound shad. I'm not sure what kind, but it gave my son some good pull. He even brought in a couple of the big blues, so had a great time. Of course, we had a few good ones that we lost, even one that was big enough to snap 10lb test with the drag on the reel as loose as it gets. Might have been one of those 50 pounders I've seen on the Buggs Island reports. Still, can't complain about that, we had a great time.

Henri

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wished I had known yall were coming, fish that area 3 times a week. The fish are really coming through there. Coulda used those small white perch live on a bigger hook and caught more flatheads and big blues cats probably but none the less looks like yall did great. The next month on kerr will be great if ya can get back.

#5 ·
It is a week that my boy and I will always remember.

FishRxDr,

I saw your post about your dad catching that 109 pounder. That is impressive. They told me that it was caught just around the corner from where we were fishing. We could have used your expertise. As is, I think that we figured it out pretty good considering that I'd never used circle hooks or cut bait like that before and had never fished Kerr Lake. Maybe next time I'll try to track you down first. If you were on the water, we were the two sitting at the dock at the Little Retreat all last week. We were out every day that was fishable 2 or 3 times a day.

What size hooks would you recommend for using live perch and do you cut the fins off, or cut it to bleed? You don't know what kind of fish that is in the second to last pic do you? I will be catfishing again soon, but probably closer to home.

If all goes as planned, I'll be on the Northwest River this weekend. I've seen some pics of really big fish there too, and it's a lot closer to home.

Henri

#9 ·
Nice report and pics Henri. Judging from the smiles on your sons face, he really enjoys fishing. Fishing off the dock can be just as good or sometimes better then running all over the place unless you have some honey holes and they don't always produce. I have a place on Deep Creek Lake in MD., and fishing off the community docks ,one in a cove and one on the main stem of the lake, believe it or not,have been some of my best days. Thanks for sharing your week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.