VA License on the potomac river?
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default VA License on the potomac river?

Heading out with my 300ft line this weekend to try crabbing on the potomac river. My Virginia crabbing license only allows for 300ft. I know my VA fishing license is good on the intire river but how about my crabbing license? I use a gill net on the virginia side to get shad but it is not allowed on the main river because they are not allowed in Maryland or DC waters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Try this link to the Potomac River Fisheries Commission . http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/R...Guidelines.pdf . Shows what licences Reciprocate in Maryland and Virginia. All I buy now is the Potomac river sticker for saltwater fishing and crabbing.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WV Crabber View Post
    Try this link to the Potomac River Fisheries Commission . http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/R...Guidelines.pdf . Shows what licences Reciprocate in Maryland and Virginia. All I buy now is the Potomac river sticker for saltwater fishing and crabbing.
    Talked to them and said inside VA waters 300ft and in the channel 600ft and in MD tidal 1200ft either license is good. Thanks

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:48 AM
    To:
    Subject: RE: Crabbing License Reciprocity Question

Thank you for contacting the Potomac River Fisheries Commission. Our reciprocity agreement with Maryland only covers recreational fishing. For Sport Crabbing in the Potomac, you can catch crabs with no license under the exemption clause, Regulation VI, Section 4(a), which is on our website. Or you can purchase a Sport Crabbing License for $30 for your boat and use up to 5 crab pots, a crab trot line up to 1200 ft., and/or no more than 20 collapsible traps. If you have any other questions, please contact us again by email or phone (804) 24-7148. Regards, Ellen Cosby

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 3:01 PM
    To: Potomac River Fisheries Commission
    Subject: Crabbing License Reciprocity Question

I am a MD resident with the following license:

Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. However, these individuals must register with the Department (see below). A special complimentary Bay & Coastal sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license. This license is also valid as a recreational crabbing boat license. $50

I understand from the PRFC website that reciprocity clearly exists for the fishing portion of the MD license. My question is - Does reciprocity exist for the crabbing portion of the MD consolidated license? Allowing one to crab from the MD licensed boat, on the Potomac, the same as one would with a PRFC Sport Crabbing License?