Hey fellas... I have been lurking on here for years. I learned a lot from you guys on here. I started off with a 10' tinboat I picked up for 30 bucks... cleaned it up and fished it freshwater for a year or so... then sold it for a big profit and bought a 14 foot tin boat. Put a livewell in it, floored it, built a trailer etc... I figured living down here I wanted something I could do some saltwater fishing in so I sold it for a profit and bought an old 1962 14' Mckee craft. I got it on a trailer for 200 bucks. I cleaned it up, repainted the whole boat, refinished the benches and installed a side console. I literally got it out in the water for the first time last friday. When I got home, I did notice that the top layer has popped up and is seperating from the bottom at the rub rail. What is the best way to fix this? Adhesive and clamp the pieces? What type of adhesive? How long should I leave it clamped together?
Sorry for the long story to get to my question... and I appreciate any info yall can give me!
Last edited by wethook; 06-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.
A photo may help, its not clear to me how large of an area is delaminating.
I would consider sanding both mating surfaces as well as possible, cleaning between the layers using a solvent like acetone, put in some epoxy and force it as far as possible between the separating layers, and place weights or clamp it until the epoxy sets up well (based on the leftover epoxy in the mixing cup becoming rock hard).
Is what you are saying is that the deck is coming away from the side of the boat?
The real concern is a boat construction question. Is the hull a sandwich construction or just one layer of fiberglass. If it is the latter I almost would expect that the deck and hull joint are rivets underneath the rub rail. Maybe it was screws and they worked out.
If so take the rub rail off and see what it looks like. I know it is a pain but it is worth the effort. Also do a search on the boat type and look for a forum. Somebody knows how your year and model were assembled.
I had the deck off of my boat several years ago. It was held together with rivets and something like 3M-5200. I removed the deck in order to replace the transom. When I put it back I used SS rivets and 5200. That was about 10 years ago and it is still holding together.
I need to snap a pic... this boat is foam sandwiched between 2 layers of glass. The top layer of the gunnel is pulling up in about a 10" long section at the rub rail. I am thinking some 5200 and a few clamps might take care of things. I will post up a pic when I get a sec. Thanks fellas.
This is where it gets scary. . . The foam may have soaked up a bunch of water. Although I know this is a potential problem I do not have enough knowledge to advise you if (1) it is a potential problem or (2) how to deal with it if it is.
First I would tarp the boat or move it inside. Then I would start hunting around for a maycraft board to see what you can find out about this issue.
If you do go with the 5200 make sure that you also use some type of mechanical fastener or you will be back in two or three years dealing with the same problem again.
Is it soft of like this?
The underscores represent the top and bottom of the gunwale, the "D" is the rubrail and the "|" represents the inner and outer fiberglass skins. The separation is occurring behind the rubrail and inbetween the skins.
If so, remove the rubrail where the separation is and do your best to get inside the crack and rough up the glass where the break occurred. Nothing less than 80 grit, but something like 24 or 36 would be better. You might only be able to find that grit in grinder discs though. Once roughed up, clean w/ acetone and then paint a light coat of unthickened resin on both surfaces. Then come back and inject as much resin thickened w/ cabosil as you can into the gap. Clamp it tight, but not so tight that every ounce of resin squishes out. Give it time to cure and you should be good. You might also try to get a layer or two of mat in there if you can....one on the top skin, one on the bottom, put the thickened resin in between.
Make sure the area is dry dry dry first. If it seems sopping wet, turn the boat up on it's side for a few days to see what drains out. Be forewarned though, if you have a lot of water in the foam, it may try to migrate towards the low side and could create a list once you get it back in the water. I would think it would even out over time though.
That's how I would go about it given what you have described.