Tidal Fish Forum banner

Berkley NANOFIL - The Results After Day 1

Good Information 
7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  JERRY NORRIS 
#1 ·
Superior to braid. You do need to use a leader though.

It may in fact be as they claim, the ultimate SPINNING reel line.

#5 ·
Hi Capt. Dennis,

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the stuff? Do you think it can be used on bait casting reels? What knot are you using to tie on your leaders?

This came off of the Bass Pro site. Note caution on using on baitcasters:

"The ultimate line for spinning reels, Berkley's NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line delivers the ultimate in casting and sensitivity. Not a monofilament or braid, NanoFil Uni-Filament is the next generation of fishing line featuring unified filament technology which molecularly links and shapes hundreds of Dyneema® nanofilaments into unified filament fishing line. And since Dyneema nanofilaments are stronger-than-steel, NanoFil has a thin diameter and is incredibly strong. This advanced construction process also makes NanoFil Uni-Filament easy to cast, exceptionally sensitive and virtually free of memory and line tangles. NanoFil is optimized for use on spinning reels, and its ultra-thin diameter may dig into baitcast reels during hook-sets."

I would speculate if it digs in on baitcasters, it will probably do the same on spinning reels.

#4 ·
Brandon,

I went to e-bay and found a vendor that was selling it, $20 for 150 yards, 10#.

Berkley is billing the stuff for spinning reels -do not know the answer to your question.

I use the the "Stren Knot" for line to leader connection, something I saw in Saltwater Sportsman. I had to modify this knot with several extra wraps on the final loop of the knot. Naonfil is SLIPPERY stuff, casts a mile!

STREN KNOT
According to Dave Justice, the Stren knot is considerably stronger than the traditional uni-to-uni connection used for joining thin-diameter braid to varying sizes of mono or fluorocarbon, providing the uni portion of the knot is tied in the mono or fluorocarbon. When making mono-to-mono connections, the uni portion of the knot must be tied to the heavier line.

Step One Overlap approximately 12 inches of the two lines. Take the tag end of the leader (A) and form a circle.

Step Two Wrap the leader two to six times around both the main line and leader, passing inside the loop on each wrap. This forms a uni knot. (Note: For four- through 20-pound mono, take six wraps. For 25- through 40-pound mono, take four to five wraps. For 50- through 80-pound mono, take three to four wraps. For 100-pound mono and above, take two to three wraps. If using a leader above 200-pound test, only one wrap is necessary.)

Step Three Cinch down the knot by pulling on both ends of the leader.

Step Four Form an improved clinch knot in the main line by wrapping it seven to 11 times around the leader (braids require ten to 12 turns), then passing the tag end through the opening at the base of the uni knot and back through the large loop.

Step Five Tighten the wraps of line while holding the tag end and standing section, making sure the wraps form a tight spiral with no overlaps. Slide them against the uni knot, jamming them together. Trim the excess tags.

Step Six The finished Stren knot.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/fishing/article/0,12746,472807,00.html

#10 ·
Check out the October issue of SPORT FISHING magazine. They have a special 12 page article and complete review of 76 Monos, Fluoros and braids (including the NanoFil ). It's very interesting and informative. The NanoFil is handled seperately because it is so new and only comes in 12lb test. All the rest were 20lb.

#11 ·
Fishamajig, you may be correct because spinners do lay the line a little different.

I am thinking about using it on surf rods for fishing at the base of Conowingo. Most of the guys use 15# Power Pro. I can get 110-120 yards out of the PP with a 2 oz. If I could tac another 25 or more on to that, it would be super. Since I already have to be very careful of overloading the power pro on the cast, I wonder if the nanowhatever would be even less forgiving on the wind up. I suspect so, especially at 12# and with a smaller diameter. I may still have to give it a try though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.