Question Yamaha fuel guage not working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Yamaha fuel guage not working

I have twin 2006 225 Yamaha's. The fuel guage is the electronic type that displays 8 bars when full. About a year ago it started acting up. It would not disply the correct amount of bars when I would first fill up but after using the boat a while they would appear and then it would work. It seemed like the float in the tank (assuming there is one) would not float at first.

However, now it shows one bar all the time, even when full. I also have a fuel burn monitor so I keep tabs on my fuel that way but it is a real pain.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is it an issue with the sending unit? If so is it something I might be able to change? I do most of my own service work but I'm not real experienced with electronics.

Any help woudl be appreciated. I'd like to get this corrected before spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Check for good connections at the back of the gauges first. A loose connection is a common problem that can manifest in various ways; it's also the low-lying fruit in that it can be a simple fix.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I had a bad sending unit straight from the factory on a brand new boat... Dealer discovered it once they filled it up for the first time. Replaced the sending unit, and not it works fine... So I would start there. I didn't see them do the replacement, but I've done it on other boats, and it's pretty simple.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

* now. Additionally, to piggy back the previous comment about checking connectors at the gauges, check them at the unit on the top of your tank as well. Perhaps a bad ground exists?

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

I replaced the sending unit in my Grady for the exact same symptoms - not expensive and quite an easy task.

-jl-
    "Chris-T-J"
    208 Grady-White

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

As others said - first try the simple fix of removing each wire on top of the tank and cleaning them. Be sure to clean the stud on top the tank as well. Double check the ground wire - IMHO , 90% of 12 volt problems are related to bad ground.

If that does not fix it - try gently flexing the wires , one at a time - while a helper watches the gauge.

Some times - corrosion creeps up the wiring. If flexing causes gauge to work - then you'll need to pull a new wire.

Most likely though - the float has failed. The new E -10 fuel can degrade the adhesive on the float and it fills with gas and sinks.

You can check this by removing the sending unit. Some are like a tube - leave it all connected but tilt it so float moves up. Watch the gauge. If it works - bad float.

Others use an arm with a float - just gently move arm upwards - see if gauge works.

Tip: Be sure to really clean top of tank before working on it so no loose crud / dirt gets into tank.

Watch the screws and tools - amazing how they can fall into the hole.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate it.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Devon -- If you need to replace the unit, wait until the tank is down to about 1/2 full. Otherwise, when you pull the sender, gas will run out the top. I got my replacement for both tanks on my Grady from http://www.wema.com/?page=417 site. These seem to be the best made senders I've found.Be careful about which screws they send. The ones that came with mine were metric thread and I had to use the old ones. Also, the hols are slightly off from being concentric and be careful how you line them up.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Grady 23, good advice , but I had to laugh. How does he know when he's down to 1/2 tank?

On a somewhat similar note, my Yamaha digital fuel gauge (1993 250hp - has bars) is very pessimistic. I have a 140 gallon tank and the bottom bar starts blinking when I still have 65 gallons in the tank. Is there any way of adjusting the sender to get a more accurate fuel reading on the gauge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast