Tidal Fish Forum banner

Pre-Fishing TV

Fishing Report 
22K views 93 replies 39 participants last post by  Don Hershfeld 
#1 ·
George Poveromo's World of Saltwater Fishing, www.georgepoveromo.com , is here to film a show about Virginia's trophy rockfish. Saturday, we got the Marc VI in the water and watched the wind blow. Sunday, we went out to pre-fish prior to the arrival of George and his camera crew. The short of it is that we (Charles and I) caught a dozen rockfish in the 44 to 48 inch range. Most of them came after I had taken Charles in to go to work and I had come back out to the CBBT by myself. Capt. Rick Wineman called me and said that they were on big fish and had caught a couple pushing 50 pounds. Thanks Rick!. I went and fished next to them. Tough fishing solo. Managed to catch some pretty fish and got one photo in focus. Now if the fish will just bite when the cameras are rolling!

See less See more
#10 ·
Eeled the high rise last night. Hooked 6, missed another. Landed 3. George caught his biggest ever rockfish so far. I caught the largest of the night, pushing 50 pounds. Let it go for the cameras. Fair amount larger than the one I kept from the day before (the one in the photo above) which weighed in at 44 pounds. Headed back to the boat now.

#15 ·
This about one thing, well maybe two-one) Money, george needs to catch a fish to make a show, two) his eago.
I would really like to see him and other self proclaimed "masters" come here or elsewhere and do it on his own without having someone prefish for him. It is the same as a hunting show minus the whispering. They either buy a farm raised deer and shoot it for the show or they have guides from the area find it then they fly in pull the trigger and they are some great hunter. This is exactly the same thing but with fish. Nothing at all against Mr. Neil. But come on lets put the credid where it is due, and it sure as heck is not due to george. Look at me look at me I am here everybody bow the almighty george is here!!! no that is BS. Next, I garuntee if you don't kiss his arse he will have nothing to do with you at all or have something that he wants. ok everyone george is here lets bow and lay down palm leaves, if you catch a fish call him so he can have it and say he caught it, or at least set him directly over the fish.

#16 ·
I don't know anything about George, and have never seen his show. I just hope that he comes off better than Robson Green. This guy is about as irritating, arrogant, and obnoxious as you get. Even on camera, the guy can't keep from throwing fits and blaming everybody else when a fish comes unbuckled. Of course, I don't expect anybody to come in cold from out of the area and get into the fish all by himself. It would be really cool if there were shows featuring the guys that truly have the experience to do so. You know that they are out there. Of course, it's about making money, and too often it takes being somebody, or being the friend of somebody and having the peronallity to make the show that people want to watch.

#17 ·
The shows I have seen of Poveromo have been entertaining and educational. The shows where he fished outside his home spots, he has been respectful and deferential to the locals he has fished with.

Bummer about the anchor issue. Maybe you should have kept drifting the same spot. Hard for someone to drift lines back from anchor if you are sitting on the piling. I guess you had to be there to know.

#19 ·
I would say its a good thing he keeps coming here and filming different shows and showing the area!....So far as, "featuring the guys that truly have the experience to do", I believe George gets those guys on his show, guess you cant make everybody happy. Remember when he did a rockfish show with Richard Bartlett. I think alot of people would love to do what he is doing, putting on a national TV program for fishing, National seminar series for fishing and doing what he loves to do....fish for a living! Hope George, Ken and crew got into them again today!!

#20 ·
James - I don't think there's any of us who think these guys show up and land trophy fish on their own. And, yes, I'm sure he's got to catch fish to make a show (LOL, maybe that's why Smokin' Gun Outdoors isn't on the air anymore). I don't think anyone's laying down palm leaves for him. BUT, I'm sure there are a lot of folks who appreciate him bringing some attention to our fishery - charter captains, hotels, tackle shops, etc.

Mike - were you drifting or anchored?

#21 ·
Well said Al :thumbup:
From what it sounds like he was drifting....so I guess if they anchored up-tide and when the tide moved the boat swung and ended up at the pile where you were fishing/drifting by, not really seeing the issue here. Maybe you should have anchored up there first Mike then you would have been in position.

#23 ·
From what it sounds like he was drifting....so I guess if they anchored up-tide and when the tide moved the boat swung and ended up at the pile where you were fishing/drifting by, not really seeing the issue here. Maybe you should have anchored up there first Mike then you would have been in position.
Totally agree. They were just getting set up before the tide started ripping so they would be in position. I enjoy his show. I dont expect anyone to show up to a fishing location and catch trophies for the first time on camera. He has a TV show to make money and he has to catch fish to do so. Simple as that. He is a good host and very informative on everything he does. He really teaches you something wherever he goes instead of just showing him fighting fish all day long. And doesn't say a sponsor every sentence like Roland Martin...

#24 ·
Out of common courtesy & respect for my fellow anglers, if someone is hovering/drifting or casting in a specific piece of structure, I will not anchor, hover, troll or cast close to them or the area they are working. It is also a matter of safety.

When they set the anchor, they had a general idea where they wanted to be. If they were in conflict with another boat, they should have apologized and moved. Or they could have asked if you would mind that they stayed. If they stayed without any communication to the boat already there, that is just plain disrespectful, inconsiderate and not safe!-it doesn't matter who they are. :nono::nono::nono:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

#27 ·
To clarify, i was holding on the piling i planned to target once the current started moving. It was George, not Ken, that dropped his anchor directly up current from me. If i had stayed put his baits would have been under my boat. We all should have a little situational awareness on where our boat and baits will be once the current starts moving enough to turn the boat. If there is a boat fishing a spot where your baits will end up, either ask the other guy to move or you move. But i am over it. I am sure George did not do it intentionally as he probably did not know how the currents move out there.

#28 · (Edited)
I like my fishing reality-based, and so don't go out of my way to watch fishing shows very often. Someone once related to me that on average, it took about three separate days of filming the fishing in order to get sufficient content to fill a half hour segment, minus commercials, minus plugging the sponsors, lodging provider, etc. At one time the cumulative actual new content in such a show was 22 minutes, and may be less today, dunn'o. Its not always going to be tough sledding for the production team, but sometimes you can discern how long it is taking to put it all in the can by the changes in the light, the weather, clothing items required or overlooked, etc.

There's that one bass pro Mike Iconelli or something like that, who does/did a program called "City Limits Fishing" or somesuch. The format is of course that he's got one day to try and produce the legal limit of keeper fish, and must do so while restricting himself to fishing only that water located within city limits. Making a major move when the usual haunts aren't giving much up is not an option. Now its pretty plain that ol' Mike could use a sedative perhaps, but more than most shows I think this one reveals the difficulties involved. He's pretty justifiably over- excited when at the very last he comes through, and for good reason. Some days we all have to beat the fish off our stuff with a stick, but most don't go that way. You don't suppose Mike allows for the flexibility to fish two or more different consecutive days, do 'ya? I'd think he'd be stupid not to, really!

Some shows might come right out and indicate "well, here we are on the afternoon of day#2 still trying to put it all together..." and I respect that kind of honesty. Only trouble is too much of that, and the underlying purpose of the program (promotion and sales) may not be perceived as having been satisfied if ratings begin to lag. Heck, For my part I'd much prefer the fishing be tough on the host, forcing him and whatever help he has to pull out all the stops, and in the process end up conveying some actual useful information.

That having been said (and I don't know George from Adam), put yourself in his place for a second... probably a fixed budget per show, new venue, semi-unique local knowledge required for eye-popping catches, etc, etc... no matter what the guy's personality, he's on a mission and has to use every available advantage to consistently accomplish it. There's some pressure there, and I'd almost bet that if the average viewer were put in the same situation, they might not enjoy the routine half as much as they'd think, being on the road, having a schedule to keep for future shows, pushing the products that pay the bills and your salary, blah, blah, blah... There can be a huge diff between doing anything out of purely want-to and even 10% have-to. Suddenly, its a job, and "~ by the sweat of his brow will a man eat" still applies in full force.

I have loved doing what I do (offering lodging for whomever, and lessons for those interested in fly fishing), but let me tell 'ya that I fished like a maniac when " just " freelancing as a hobby. Even though in this economy I could almost fish that much today, there is not the same desire to do so. What would be the point of trotting out whatever tricks I may have over the same fish I am secretly hoping later on will prove as cooperative as possible with a guest or client? In many cases (not all) this other person needs every advantage possible, if only due to limitedmtime, just like George. So its debatable but in a way I feel like I'm cheating future folks who might visit here, if I go and sore-lip many (any) of the fish located within easy striking distance. So, for the most part I monitor the very local fish, and only torment the ones more difficult to reach, or in other venues.

Basically, be careful what you wish for... in more cases than not, its not all its at first cracked up to be, from the outside looking in. That having been said, I am glad to have been able to pursue my 'heart' instead of my wallet only. That comes with its own costs, however. So we choose our poison and make the best of it.

#29 ·
Wow...I usually stay out of these type of threads. Mike....you don't sound over it at all as you keep getting back on here and talking smack. I am glad to see that Ken called you out on it and would ABSOLUTELY believe what he said. Remind me next time I drift eels at the bridge to go early and put my name on the piling I want. If your intentions were to only work one piling all night why in the world would you go through the hassle of trying to keep your boat on it in the current and fish at the same time. I believe you could have more easily claimed your "spot" with an anchor. If I see a boat drifting pilings, I usually think they will be moving on pretty soon because they are drifting pilings(plural).
I have fished with Dr. Neill for several years and know for a fact that he does not act like you are claiming. He is a class act all the way. As for you haters out there...you need to watch a couple shows before you trash the man that is hosting the show. George does not claim to be an expert at every fish or technique used on the show. In fact, he gives the credit for expertise to the local guys he fishes with. An area should welcome him and realize that the show will bring recognition to the local area, the local fisheries and the local anglers. Internet forums really do bring out the worst in people. It seems to increase the size of their nads though......it is EASY to type a bunch of hatespeak. I don't know George Poveromo, but feel the need to apologize to him on behalf of the haters on this site.

#32 ·
dforehand, I can see why you stay off these types of threads....because you need to read first before posting. First, I was not calling Ken out, I was calling George out. Second, I was not drifting, I was holding on a single spot. My intention wasn't to turn this into a love his show, I hate his show thread, just state the facts.

#33 ·
This is weak. Who keeps writing books those are unreadable? Anyway where is the spot i want in there. I gotta say Laughing out Loud I didn't see this coming when I hopped on the site tonight.

George i will be watching out for you and if i see you and Im catching I will invite the Mark VI right on in.

I hope we all do well. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.