Question Best place for pay Trout Fishing in Virginia?
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question Best place for pay Trout Fishing in Virginia?

Hey there guys! A friend of mine and I are planning a trout fishing trip for mid-February(birthday) somewhere in Virginia.... Any suggestions on the best operations that offer pay to trout in Virginia? We are considering Cripple Creek aka Cedar Springs... Now I recognize that some of these places aren't for the fly-fishing purist... We would like to both flyfish and utilize ultra-light tackle for spinnerbaits and such... Any words of wisdom that could be offered will be most gratefully appreciated... Tight Lines

><((((*>

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

One option is to call and get a guided trip on Beaver Creek or Mossy creek from the guys at Mossy Creek Fly shop in Harrisonburg, VA. I think they have access to private waters not open to the general public and you get a guide.

Another option is the Rose River farm. They have a private stretch they stocka nd they have cabins to rent also. Another option I went to was a place near Cabins , WVa on the south Branch of the Potomac near Smoke hole. They have anice stretch of private stocked water with good sized trout for the offering. they have cabins to rent there too.

Jim

Thanks Jim!... I will investigate the WV option... I am not in need of a guided trip, although it may be educational. Thanks

The place in WVa is called Harmans cottages. They are on the North Fork of he south branch of the Potomac near Smoke Hole. They stock a lot I've caught some nice browns there and a good friend landed a legit 24" rainbow down from there before.

Jim

The place in WV(Smoke Hole) looks real nice! I think I will plan on taking the wife there in April/May of next year... It's amazing what is out there if you are able to put in the research and have helpful folks such as yourself steering people in the right direction... Tight Lines

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I went to college with one of the Harmans. he's still down there guiding and running the family business. I've fished with him a few times in the last 10 years or so. But the only water that is private on their stretch is the spring creek they have which is loaded with enormous fish but even they don't fish it. He just grows them to sell to local fishing clubs for like $100 a piece. He's got 10, even 12 pound rainbows in this small creek with feeders along side, the kind that you find at a petting zoo and add a quarter to get a handful of trout food. The web site said the area of the N.F of the SOuth branch is privately stocked, but not private so therefore I think you can walk in an fish in front of their place. Not great water though. Some deep pools but not great riffles or nynphing water. Further upstream at Seneca Rocks has excellent pool/riffle run water. Then there's the south branch at Smoke Hole. Awesome stream, trophy trout. The best time to go is spring like April/May. IN the mid summer it gets too warm for trout but the lower south Branch by Petersburgh area is excellent for smallmouth.

There is private water on the N. Fork of the S branch though and it's loaded. So is the public water right below Seneca Rocks at the mouth of Seneca Creek which is catch and release. Tons of huge fish, all public water there for a good distance up and downstream. But there is private water, but there's nothing saying you can't float through it. They just own the land, not the water.

Try this place http://www.gravesmountain.com/ they have stocked ponds and can offer other services for a birthday party. My wife taught for Casting for Recover there and said the people and facilities were top notch.