Question Do you eat black drum?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Do you eat black drum?

I've heard mixed opinions. If you do eat them, how do you prepare them? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

NO

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was curious last year myself and kept one for the first time. It was a small one about 30 inches. Not much meat for that size fish on it but nice looking meat and no extra that I saw. I fried it and it was fine. I would not keep a big one just because there are other fish that I like better and grow much faster so the resource is replaced sooner.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If it's under twenty pounds they are really good eating is my preferance. But anything bigger and I would throw it back.

Yes,I love it ,only keep the bigger ones because as Wes Blow said they don't have a lot of meat for the size fish they are ,they are mostly head and gut and a small one yields very little meat. I also prefer the bigger ones because the meat is very firm and course and while it is ok sliced thin and fried it is best in making a fish stew because the meat doesn't fall apart like most fish,it's also great grilled. As I say I love them but don't keep but one or two a year because they are a pain to hold cool and clean, then you have a huge carcass to get rid of. Usually I will head and gut after I catch it and leave this for the crabs and it fits in the cooler better and also bleeds the fish out. This is legal as long as the carcass is as long as the legal length of the fish, 16inches.
    Enjoy them,they are great.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Eating Black Drum

Yes, cut the meat in 1/2 in. filets dip in (1 cup of milk with egg stired in) then dip in italian bread crumbs. fry in olive oil. lay filets on a 9x13 glass dish of cooked pasta (any type) pour your favorate marinara sause over meat and pasta. sprinkle mozarellla cheese over dish and bake @350 for about 30 min or til cheese is slightly golden (you can season to taste with other things you like with italian dishes) this is a easy dish and you would never guess it was fish. It is really good

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish Capt.Nick's Avatar

We used to keep them when a 10 fish day 40-60# was common off Cape Charles.You have to scale them with a hoe.If the scales land on your lawn they'll be there for years.They're as big as 50cent pieces and fly up in the air when you mow the lawn.A 40 # Drum will yield about 10# of fillet.You'll find worms in just about all of them.They grow very slow and those big ones could be 40 years old.There's better fish to eat.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I ate a black drum sandwich at Stingrays on ES and didn't like it at all. Smelled bad, tasted worst than it smelled. Japanese couple sitting next to us had same sandwich and didn't like theirs. One of these days I'll try it again. Stingrays is supposed to have a good BD sandwich, but not on that day.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

i've eaten the smaller ones. to me they taste better. fried is ok...make good fishcakes also.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Smaller fish under 15 pounds aren't bad, make a nice fish fry. Have tried bigger fish up to 60lbs caught in the Delaware Bay and they were good if prepared like veal parm, however the big ones I've caught south of the Delaware Bay are worm city usually and not worth it. Very fun fish to catch though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast