Question Lake Worth, GA (Albany area)

Default Lake Worth, GA (Albany area)

I live in VA and will be relocating to Albany, GA. I see this forum does not have as much activity as I'm used to. Wanted to inquire about some good fishing info for this area. I have heard that there is some good fishing in Lake Worth. Just looking for tips,types of fish,whats being caught,etc..If anyone is out there who has some knowledge of this area please post. Can't wait to start fishing in the South. Tight lines!!

Lake Worth, also known as Lake Chehaw, is a 1,400-acre Georgia Power hydropower development on the Flint River. Impounded in 1919 by damming the Flint River, Lake Chehaw went by the name of Lake Worth for many years. A good portion of the lake lies within the City of Albany, so as one might expect, houses line the shoreline and summer boat traffic is heavy. A very riverine-type impoundment, Lake Chehaw stretches out about 10 miles east to west and is a shallow lake full of islands and sloughs. To provide flood storage, the lake is drawn down almost 10 feet every winter in preparation of spring rains. Access can be difficult during these times, but the fishing is usually good since the low water concentrates the fish. Although historically known as an average fishing lake at best, the flood of 1994 and subsequent drawdowns for dam repair turned an aged, tired reservoir into a nearly new one. Besides the Flint River, Kinchafoonee and Muckalee Creeks on the west side of the lake are the two other major tributaries. The area of the lake where these two creeks come together is known as “Muckafoonee” and traditionally has produced the biggest bass. Key species: hybrid striped bass, largemouth bass, channel catfish, flathead catfish.
    Blackshear Lake in Albany has largemouth bass, white and black crappie, bream, hybrid bass, striped bass & catfish.
    Now for the best news:
    1 1/2 hours west of Albany lies one of the best bass and crappie lakes in the entire South. I'm talking about Lake Eufala, which is on the Ga. - Alabama state line. If you are a bass fisherman, you will love it! Also, if you do any saltwater fishing, Destin, Florida and Panama City, Fla. are about 3 hours south of Albany, and both offer outstanding fishing! The following Georgia DNR page is very helpful: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Fishing/Reservoirs?cat=2
    Good luck with moving and all, and welcome!

Thanks BigFishing!! Can't wait to get out on the GA water and start catching em up! I appreciate all the info, it will be very helpful once I get down there. That Lake Eufala will be my first road trip once I get my new boat. I will continue to monitor the site and post my fishing reports. #tightlines