Cutting a rod blank

Default Cutting a rod blank

Have never tried cutting a blank. I've got a Lami that I ended up not using that's been sitting around for a year and half.

Thinking about cutting a few inches off tip and make a jigging rod - what do you think it would do to the action if I cut six inches or so off the tip? New tip dia would be 10/64ths (vs. current 6.5).

TF90-20
    7'6"
    8-20 lb.
    1/2-1 1/2
    4 1/2

I never cut anyting off the tip of a rod unless it was broken off and it needed to be trimed back some. If you need to cut a rod down cut the butt end off, just my 2 cents

Trimming a rod from the tip makes the action faster. Cutting from the butt makes the action slower. Cutting 6" off the tip of any blank is going to turn it into a telephone pole.

The TF90-20 is a fast action blank to begin with so I would not mess with the tip unless I absolutely had to. Cut off the back to get it to length, and then start experimenting by tapeing a guide to the blank as a tip. Move it down the blank a bit to see how it feels. I think you will find no need to take anything off the tip.

If you are planning on cutting the blank to get it to the 6' length, take 3 off the tip and the rest of the butt. I cut the tips all the time. Pretty much ever rod I build is cut off the tip and/or the butt to get the action that my customers are looking for. With the Lami TF90, you will be fine cutting 3-4 off the tip and the rest off the butt.

Kevin

Decided to get another blank for that application. Went ahead and build the lami as bought.