Virgin going to the Abacos
    Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!

Default Virgin going to the Abacos

A little help please. I can handle my own in the Ches. Bay, but really am not sure what to bring when cruising around on a bare boat charter down there. I'll be down in May. Mostly in shallow water cuz we have ladies on board. It would be nice to catch some Bonefish, but I've only done it with guides ( around other islands).and fresh Conch. Any artificials? What else do I have a shot at? what other kind of lures? Your help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber CaptNemo's Avatar

Buy her a nice dinner, brush your teeth and hope for the best...

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!

O.K. thanks for all your help!

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'd take some small 1/8th oz bucktails in white , tan and green colors. These will catch most fish in shallow waters.

Some DOA lures in shrimp or crab are worth taking. Normal LTJ lures like BKD's should work as well.

Add a few poppers / swimming lures in 3 to 5 inch size.

Although looked on as trash fish - Barracudas are cool to catch. 10-12 inch surge hoses in hot red or green are deadly. Cast as far as you can - then reel them back super fast. Barracuda eat Needle fish and the hose imitates them well. The Cuda can not bite the lure off and it makes a decent handle to land them.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hey I will be in the abacos mid march until about the beginning of may. I have spent alot of time there and have enjoyed some prety good fishin.
    There are probably more bonefish there than any other part of the world. Take lots of small to medium hooks some splitshot and some 8 to 12 fluro. you should be able to find or catch your own bait use a nice heavy rock for the shell dwellars.
    The bonefish there normally swim in large packs and will go on a variety of small lures they spook easily so you may want to throw your lure 8 or 12 feet ahead they should see it and swim over and grab it.
    gulp makes a small shrimp that works good try and find some light jigheads to match.
    off the flats look for rocky jettys there is all kinds of stuff to catch.

not sure if you have your own boat to take if you do the interior reef can keep you very busy diving plugs with light cable work good and it is usually very calm there because the outside reef stops the waves.

at night or late afternoon along the jetties and rocks chum works great for the mutton snappers.

take a diving mask jump in and see where the fish are hanging out.