Good Information Peregrine Falcons at the Bay Bridge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Peregrine Falcons at the Bay Bridge

I've seen them the last four years but confirmed a nest today. I saw them best a couple of years ago when I was fishing the pilings and noticed a crippled pigeon in the water. I thought that was odd, and the pigeon must have been hit by a car or something until a few minutes later when I looked up and saw the falcon. This was in the fall and the falcon was dive bombing an osprey. The osprey didn't have a chance. Two weeks ago I was fishing the bridge with Mark and we heard one cry and looked up to see her sitting on the bridge girders. Mark knows birds and confirmed it right away. As the falcon flew off we saw another one higher above the bridge. I got a grainy picture. Today as I was fishing with Rich, we heard the cry again from the same location. I couldn't see the nest because it's inside one of the girders, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on since this is their nesting season and they've been at the same exact place both times. I won't give away the location but contact me offline if your interested and I'll tell you where.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2020001.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	57693  

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Shawn thats pretty cool. I didn't know we we had PFs in this area but I have seen weird stuff from time to time. That would make an awesome shot. Maybe Jay could capture a close-up pic. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

They are impressive,we have seen them over the years at the cbbt .

Just wondering if the Peregrine falcons can tangle with "Hondo"?...The bird that Rich "lasso-ed" off of the jetty last year?...
    Fishing on Predator..Parker 23SE F225
    "Light tackle jig barbless"
    Easton,MD

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo1 View Post
    Just wondering if the Peregrine falcons can tangle with "Hondo"?...The bird that Rich "lasso-ed" off of the jetty last year?...
    I'll ask him, but last time I saw him a guy was holding a shotgun on him making him clean mud off somebody's house trailer. Thank god I got away.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

Neat!I know I have have heard the cry around there before but never been able to spot the bird, pretty elusive I guess,or I'm just blind.
    Last edited by Roger T; 02-26-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish DirtyFrank's Avatar

They nested in our old building. Nothing like a falcon screaming at you through a glass window at 730 in the morning.

The plaza in front of the building would get littered with pigeon parts.

I miss that place
    Dirty Frank
    Key West Bay Reef 196 - "Hot 4 Teacher"

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

That's really cool to have nesting falcons around. Can't believe they were messing with an osprey......must have been protecting the nest.
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Slipsinker's Avatar

Just another example of the wonders of the Chesapake. Here a nice little read about the falcon and the Chesapeake Bay. http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/Peregr.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Slipsinker View Post
    Just another example of the wonders of the Chesapake. Here a nice little read about the falcon and the Chesapeake Bay. http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/Peregr.htm
    Totally agree. I get some flack for being an outsider sometimes, but any day on the Chesapeake is like going to Disneyland for me.

Back on peregrines, I never read about it, but I think they'll take a gull in a pinch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast