Question yellow perch

Thread: yellow perch

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default yellow perch

Caught some Y perch on Patuxant. Took some home to eat while cleaning found alot of worms inside.{parasites}Just wondering if others have found them in there fish Thanks Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Were the worms in the meat and tiny black ones - almost like hair thin ?

I see them in White Perch - cooking kills them.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not at all uncommon. Crappie often have them as well. As was noted, cooking kills them, but I usually fillet, skin and candle my YP and crappie. If any show up I cut them out but sometimes there are so many that you can't get rid of all of them. I just discard them if they are that bad. Its a shame but I don't intend to eat them. They are usually worse in warm water and with the lack of colder water this year, they may be worse than usual.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Were the worms in the meat and tiny black ones - almost like hair thin ?
    It is a "Roundworm" (Nematode), commonly referred to as a "Redworm." The scientific name is "PHILOMETRA CYLINDRACEA - NEMATODA.They're red in color, sometimes curled up like a spring and are thin. They generally do not get longer than 2 inches.

They're most often resident in the body cavity, but when taken out of the water, leave that area. More times than not, I find them in the flesh as I'm filleting the fish. That's the #1 reason why I fillet and skin every Perch or Crappie that I take home. Even though this worm/parasite is not a danger to humans, I'd rather not eat a cooked/fried one.

Tim

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Brought home 10 from Tuckahoe on Tuesday all had worms - was a little disapointing.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dist2109 View Post
    Brought home 10 from Tuckahoe on Tuesday all had worms - was a little disapointing.
    Yes it's been my experience that most there have them. Some still eat them, but I won't. Anglers should take this into consideration before deciding to keep any from there.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One thing you can do if fish fillet has the tiny worms is to freeze it for a few days.

That will kill any parasites.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.