Tidal Fish Forum banner

yellow perch

Question 
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  27 sailfish 
#1 ·
Caught some Y perch on Patuxant. Took some home to eat while cleaning found alot of worms inside.{parasites}Just wondering if others have found them in there fish Thanks Jay

#4 ·
Were the worms in the meat and tiny black ones - almost like hair thin ?
It is a "Roundworm" (Nematode), commonly referred to as a "Redworm." The scientific name is "PHILOMETRA CYLINDRACEA - NEMATODA.They're red in color, sometimes curled up like a spring and are thin. They generally do not get longer than 2 inches.

They're most often resident in the body cavity, but when taken out of the water, leave that area. More times than not, I find them in the flesh as I'm filleting the fish. That's the #1 reason why I fillet and skin every Perch or Crappie that I take home. Even though this worm/parasite is not a danger to humans, I'd rather not eat a cooked/fried one.

Tim

#3 ·
Not at all uncommon. Crappie often have them as well. As was noted, cooking kills them, but I usually fillet, skin and candle my YP and crappie. If any show up I cut them out but sometimes there are so many that you can't get rid of all of them. I just discard them if they are that bad. Its a shame but I don't intend to eat them. They are usually worse in warm water and with the lack of colder water this year, they may be worse than usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.