Tidal Fish Forum banner

Lost my best friend of ten years today,

Sad News 
4K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  mazatec 
#1 ·
My dog Kona has lost his life to Cancer today. His picture is my avatar. A great Chocalate Labrador that loved people and was his gift to make everyone he met his friend. He also enjoyed boating and loved fresh fish. Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks from the Ford Family!

#2 ·
I have lost two labs and it doesn't get any easier. Ten is a fairly long life for a lab so cherish his memory! It does get easier as the days go by. The love that he gave you over the past ten years exceeds the sting of his death.Sorry for your loss.............Gary

#5 ·
Kona,
Had to put a 132# German Shepherd down a couple of years ago due too hip and leg problems at 9 years. Loved her, miss her. Have a 2 1/2 year American Chocolate (Dude) , and a 1 1/2 Black English (Chick) Labs.

Wife wanted to wait to get another dog after losing the Shepherd. I came home to silence, I hated it. I fixed it. I went and got another one. The companionship, greetings......I missed it. Time to get another one!

They all are different. But, get another friend. Kona won't be replaced. I walk into the house and get 2 Labs happy dancin' to see me.

I feel for you. An 8 week old Lab will help ease your pain.

Jim

#6 ·
sorry for your your loss.

just a fyi....we have a 12 yr. old pointer...buoy.....great dog...but joint issues. a suggestion from the vet, feed 2 times a day. we use 3/4 cup of 1/2 dry food and green beans twice a day. he has lost 5+ pounds and is much better moving around with less weight. he loves the beans.

#16 ·
That is a whole in your heart that can never be filled. I still have times when I miss animals that passed 20 years ago or even more. Sounds like a typical Lab with ALL LOVE and a wonderous way to please and be part of your family. I hope yours and the families pain passes quickly. It amy never go away, but at time passes the good memories out-weigh the bad ones.

#20 ·
I know Kona was loved and will be missed. I've had dogs all my life and our home is currently run by a 15 year old Redbone Coonhound. She's the sweetest pup I've ever known.

I don't believe we'd be the same people we are today without the life lessons we learn from out dogs or the joys they bring. I am always humbled
that such a wonderful spirit has been entrusted to me, and I feel truly blessed by the time that I have been able to spend with Miss Belle.

My thoughts are with you and your family,

Aches n Pains

#21 ·
To everyone who has responded to this thread, my family and I deeply appreciate your thoughts and kind words. This is the second time that I have had to pull the plug on my best 4 legged friend. In both cases, it was the right thing to do. However, it never gets any easier and if it does, then you never truly loved them. I believe that when you take ownership of a pet, you have signed a contract with that pet. For all the companionship, love and good times they provide to you, they only want one thing. That is for you :bigangel:to love and care for them and do everything in your power to never let them suffer. I did this for both of my dogs, Buster a mixed Lab and Kona my Chocalate Lab. I know in my heart that they are in a better place without pain and suffering. Thanks to all for reminding me that while you never will forget them as time goes on, it is the memory of the good times you had with them that heals the heart. Just like Buster, I am having him privately creamated and he will always be in our home. There will be another dog in my life at some point in time, but right now my wife needs time to deal with losing her baby boy. Kona and I wish that everyone has clear skies, calm winds and tight lines thru out the 2012 fishing season. I truly can not thank you all enough for you kind responses.

#22 ·
tg2469 - I feel very sorry for your loss as well. It must have been hard to respond to this post. Best wishes to you during this tuff moment in our lives. No better words to describe it, it truly does suck.

#23 ·
Sorry for your loss. We had to put our yellow lab Gus down in Sept 2008. I shared our loss here on TF and rec'd many kind replies and personal emails. My wife Bonnie and I were grateful for the sympathetic notes, it helped to ease our grief. Although we talked about getting another dog, we have decided not to at this time. We are both so busy, me with fishing and fishing related meetings and Bonnie with her schedule. We like to travel too. Since Gus passed away we've been to Alaska and The Panama Canal. Still, we miss Gus every day and think about him often, like I'm sure you and your family will.

#26 ·
keep his memory close to your heart and the sorrow far away from you head. The things we love keep us alive and when they leave there are holes to fill in our hearts. Keep your head up. Our four legged friends never last long enough, yet in the short time we have them, they love us more than therest of the world...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.