Tidal Fish Forum banner

boat sharing?

Question 
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gchambers 
#1 ·
would anyone know the answer to this question??..Me and a buddy share a boat and all the costs of maintaining it! Being it can only be registered by one of us it is in his name!...he got the fishing license with the sticker for the boat. If i fish with him I would only need to do the registry but I decided to get my license anyways!...What if I wanna take the boat and someone who has no license with me!...would they be legal if they only register being the boat has the sticker?..would that sticker cover anyone that borrowed the boat if they had no license?...or would my buddy need to be on the boat for others to fish without the license?...The man where i got my license said he was 95% sure as long as the boat had the current sticker it wouldnt matter who used it as long as all the fisherman did the registry..can anyone clear this up?...thanks

#3 ·
yer gittin' squirrly....one question at time
would anyone know the answer to this question?? yes!..Me and a buddy share a boat and all the costs of maintaining it! Being it can only be registered by one of us it is in his name!...he got the fishing license with the sticker for the boat. If i fish with him I would only need to do the registry but I decided to get my license anyways!cool!...What if I wanna take the boat and someone who has no license with me!...would they be legal if they only register being the boat has the sticker?yes!, you are ok ..would that sticker cover anyone that borrowed the boat if they had no license?yes, as long as registered...or would my buddy need to be on the boat for others to fish without the license?No, as long as all are registered...The man where i got my license said he was 95% sure as long as the boat had the current sticker it wouldnt matter who used it as long as all the fisherman did the registryCorrect!..can anyone clear this up?Yes...thanksYour welcome!
From the Maryland DNR website:
Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. However, these individuals must register with the Department (see below). A special complimentary Bay & Coastal sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license. The $50 Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing Decal is NOT valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License (though the purchaser of this decal is given one complimentary individual recreational crabbing license)

Jim

#6 ·
yer gittin' squirrly....one question at time

From the Maryland DNR website:
Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. However, these individuals must register with the Department (see below). A special complimentary Bay & Coastal sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license. The $50 Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing Decal is NOT valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License (though the purchaser of this decal is given one complimentary individual recreational crabbing license)

Jim
Now you did it!....
so does that mean that no one else on the boat can crab without an individual license ?
Wen

#7 ·
I have mixed feelings about you guys posting this info. Now the buddies who fish on my boat will know that if I have a heart attack while fishing with them, they can keep on fishing legally, even if I die. My only hope now is to put a password on my GPS so that if I go I take my hotspots with me - maybe the incentive to fish those spots again will be enough for them to give up what's left of the day if I go down.

#9 ·
You can register the boat in both names. My son & I bought the Sea Hunt together & its registered in both names altho we do not live together. I buy the fishing sticker for the Key Largo which is mine alone & he buys the sticker for the Sea Hunt therefore we both get a comp. fish & crab license.....George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.