Good Information Spades

Thread: Spades

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Spades

A family friend and charter captain in hatteras told us that he was over a wreck in around 50' of water the other day. The water clarity was so clear he could see part of the wreck! Oh yea, he said there were hundreds of those spadefish that we like up here the size of "trash can lids" hovering above it. He said he wishes he knew how to catch them.

-Cool to hear that they are showing in force down in hatteras
    -"TRASH CAN LIDS" wouldnt that be nice to find one day!

I know this isnt really relevant to Virginia fishing but it could make you carry a clam or two next time you fish the outer banks.

BTW, this dosen't count as the first "anybody heard/seen any spades caught at the tower yet" post
    Last edited by Fish&Surf757; 04-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Its funny, I havent seen a spade the size of a dinner plate in NC, but damn if I havent seen and shot some HUGE sheepheads. A few more degrees, 66-68 and you can get them.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I dont know how exaggerated the size comparison is but it caught my attention real quick! the image is still in my head of 15lb spades floating around some old untouched wreck in hatteras. At first i felt bad after posting this, worried that i was giving away his secret monster spade hole.

But then i realized:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map9.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	58843

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There are a ton of spades in NC but Va is about the only state that accually targets them and eats them lol

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kapoc View Post
    There are a ton of spades in NC but Va is about the only state that accually targets them and eats them lol
    Very true. Ive talked with some guys from the Gulf and they say that they are trash fish. A good eatin trash fish if you ask me.