Tidal Fish Forum banner

Fly Line Question/Recommendation

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Don Hershfeld 
#1 ·
I need some help here. I went to the fly fishing film tour last night here in richmond and won one of the raffles. Great show by the way. I won my choice of any fly line manufacturued by Scientific Anglers. My question is what would people recommend getting. I am not a novice fly fisherman but definitely not an expert. My casting definitely needs work especially in windy conditions. I want to get a new floating line for my 5 weight which I mainly use to fish for smallmouth and trout on the Jackson and in SNP. There are a bunch of different lines listed in their website but I have no idea which to choose from.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines.html

If anyone can help with a recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
EHO

#2 ·
SA GPX WF is one of my favorite lines. It is a dream to cast (makes my bad technique look good), durable, casts small flies as well as nymphs and larger smallmouth flies with ease. No question for me. BTW I would get the normal GPX WF not the Sharkskin, that stuff tears up my fingers...

Jim

#4 ·
OK I see what you mean. there is actually 3 lines now. Normal Mastery series GPX (which I love and which I refered too), Sharkskin GPX (I dont like as it tears my fingers after a long day and seems to sty dirty), and the textured GPX ( which is a new line that I am not familiar with). I dont know about the last one but I live the Mastery GPX. It is not cheap at $70 (I found it on sale for $60) the textured one is $10 more. Again I cant speak to that line maybe someone else can, but you will not go wrong with the Mastery GPX. The issues of durability and memory the textured line is supposed to help I never had an issue with with my GPX in the 3 yrs I have had it on the reel.

Jim

#5 ·
The GPX textured is still pretty abrasive. It shoots better than the nontextured but I wouldnt buy the textured again. I have two deep cuts on my middle and pointer fingers right now from stripping streamers with them last night and sunday. Be aware though that the gpx is designed for fast rods and is about a third to a half of a line weight heavier than aftma standards. They are great lines though.

#8 ·
The Sharkskin WILL take a bite out'a 'ya, especially when stripping streamers and with your fingers staying wet. It is hard to believe the field testing did not reveal this little problem. Anyone know of a good prophylatic with which to practice 'safe strippin?'. My wife suggests athletic tape.

#10 ·
Its old news, but Sharkskin also makes a peculiar sound when you shoot the line through the guides. Some folks can get used to it, while others (like my wife) it just drives crazy! She bought (prematurely) an expensive rod in FL (thinking like a guy who's missed too many putts that his old club is to blame?) that it would solve her problems casting from a SOT kayak. Naturally it didn't, and while still in the shop I advised she "sleep on the decision" rather than act impulsively.

The shop owner, seeing a sale potentially getting away, countered with an offer of a free line, and went further to recommend the Sharkskin (100' long vs. the more standard 90'), and she had her excuse to blow $700+ against my counsel. Said she only had the next day to fish down there with her prospective new purchase, thinking it was going to make all the difference in her ability to dupe a redfish at distance. Having lost that war, I told her about the finger wear and weird sounds those lines involve, but feeling triumphant, she went with both.

One half day later, she liked neither. Oh boy. Could be worse. Could be shoes, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.