Fishing Report Thursday flats

Thread: Thursday flats

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default Thursday flats

Absolutely insane. I have never, in over 10 years or fishing there or anywhere for that matter seen more fish than I did on Wed. night and Thursday. At night, shine a flashlight into the water and the place explodes. Literally. There are fish from Battery to Route 40, wall to wall, thick as can be. It amazes me people are not chopping them up to pieces with their props. The smaller fish are biting almost every cast but the larger fish that you see swirl the size of a tuck's hood to get away from the boat are not cooperating very well. I was using an intermediate line but anything would have worked and up in the skinnies near high tide the place was loaded with giant fish and a floater would have been better. The deeper water near the channels is absolutely covered up with fish, the medium water on the edge is blanketed, it's all incredible. Big top water lures in 8 inch with a 3 foot leader and a 5 inch half and half as a teaser got bit very well. Something needs to wake them up first. We also saw guides casting large top waters in the general area of their clients who were throwing flies just to tease the fish up some, even in 2 feet of water this works well for some reason.

So, go at night if you want to see millions upon millions of fish resting at the surface, many spawning as far as the eye can see plus you’ll have the place to yourselves. Many fish are chasing bait, others attacking your lure or fly but most will have lock jaw for some reason. The bait I saw on the surface were needle fish and white perch. Plus lots of herring further up river. But I'm sure they are on the flats too. Probably more fish than has been up there in a long long time. You just need to figure out the time of day and tide that they all want to eat. World class up there right now for sure. It closes for striped bass in the middle of next week so the time is now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

That is so cool! Darn work has killed me this month, THE BEST FISHING MONTH OF THE YR.... Oh well must have been a sight to see!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great report! After reading the regs it looks to me like the flats are off limits to bass fishing starting today, even C&R, is that correct?
    Last edited by Water_boy; 05-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Blog Entries

To striped bass fishing yes, the largemouth bass fishing is always good there and always open. Today was the last day. Sorry to see it go. It was a great year.

Blog Entries

It does open back up on June 1st and maybe the 16th to keep one fish under 26". It was like that last year. But the fish are on their way out anyway. Only small ones will be around into June and very few. Most will be up at the dam or in Eastern Bay. I went back on Tuesday evening and it was nothing like it was on Thursday. Much fewer fish but there were still a few giants up on the skinnies. Heard people did very well up towards the northern edge of the flats. About the only place I didn't go. With a 9.9 four stroke I practically ran from one end to the other with very little to show for it. Oh well.