Tidal Fish Forum banner

Jigging Close to Home - Apr 28

Fishing Report 
6K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  jsbchaser 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't posted many fishing reports lately. Seems like I've had something crammed into every spare minute. I did manage to get out at first light this morning with Rich for some light tackle fun out my back door. We found some nice fish near a ledge that dropped from 4' to 23'. No birds or breakers or anything like that, just a good post-spawn location that has produced this same week for the last four or five years. I think we got 11 fish on half ounce hotrodded jigs before the incoming waned and they turned off. That was okay, because my granddaughter was singing live for a show called Kid's Stuff on WDVX.com this morning at 9:30, so I was happy to be back in time to hear her. Even though it wasn't a lot of fish and certainly not the 40 pounders we were getting a couple of weeks ago, they were pretty good quality and I didn't have to burn much gas.

This is actually my second trip this week. I made it up to the Flats one morning to fish with Walleye Pete. Hank had chartered Pete for the day, and he was nice enough to ask me and Jamie along. We caught lots of fish, not really big, but still fun and typical of what the Flats has produced this year. Jamie managed to pull one decent topwater fish out of the mix.

Also, I want to invite you guys out to the Chesapeake Bay Environmental Center this coming Friday night for the Kent Narrows CCA Banquet and moonshine tasting. ;-) In addition to some great prizes and auction items, I'll be playing guitar and singing some original songs, most about fishing. Local bootlegger Joe Evans will join me on banjo. This should be a blast. I still have two seats left at my table, and we get first shot at the apple pie home brew. Drop me a PM if you want the seats. There are some seats at other tables as well.

See less See more
#15 ·
Congrats on the nice fish. I've read your book that Tom from Glen Burnie gave me and really want to try jigging this year. Great book full of a lot of useful info.

I know you use the garlic dip to hot rod your jigs. How often do you need to re-dip?
Thanks Dave. I reapply scent about every 15 minutes and more frequently when the fish aren't biting. I also put scent on topwater lures, spoons, etc. I've just been thinking and writing more about smell and taste triggers.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. Also wanted to pass on that we're getting topwater fish now in the Mid-Bay, some pretty good ones too.

Hope to see you guys at the Kent Narrows Banquet this weekend.

#10 ·
Sounds like a good Sunday morning Shawn.

#16 · (Edited)
Shawn,
I fished the rips about 3 weeks ago, after stopping at my local Mt. Airy Walmart the night before I checked in the fishing section and saw they had some scents but went with the garlic magic markers as they covered 2 of your triggers. Welll call it what you want but with 3 guys fishing(only me using the markers on 10" BKD's) caught on 4 different colors BKDs all marked with the garlic marker, i got 8 over 30" including 4 over 40" and my fishing compadres got none or 1 over 30". I like to think I am good on the jigging stick but not that good. I will keep at it and update you along the way. Thanks for the suggestions! Johnny O

#17 ·
That's awesome, Johnnyo. I didn't get to the that area too much this year, but it sounds like you figured them out on that day. Obviously, little things matter and it's becoming more and more necessary to pull out every trick in the book, especially when we have limited time to fish and have to stay close to home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.