Tidal Fish Forum banner

Rock Bass Eggs

Fishing Report 
8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rocksteady 
#1 ·
I caught this here 36" rock bass very early this morning, put up one h_ll of a fight! She fought like a 40 pounder! My reel was actually heating-up. I figure it was the strong incoming tide combined with the strength of the fish that made it seem like it had good size. When I boated the great fish, right away I noticed it looked fatter than any other rock bass I caught this size. As I started to dress the bass, these here green sacks fell out of it's belly. So, that's why the fish was so fat.

Are these green sacks rock bass eggs? Never saw rock bass eggs before. I have seen other species of fish eggs...they are usually tanish color.

If these are eggs, she was still heading up the bay to spawn. These fish have been here for almost 2 months already! March third, during C&R, we caught seven in two hours, all trophy sized keepers. From what I spotted on my fish finder today, the waters were full of fish this morning...bait fish and bass! Some bass are heading south exiting the bay after completing the spawn, and some are heading north still needing to spawn. All are eating!

Too bad a caught one of the ones heading north, I would rather catch this old gal after she completed her spawn!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The eggs sack looks normal to me. You threw me off with rock bass because it's a different species.

Rock bass state records are listed below. To learn more about Rock bass click the following link to our fish facts http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishfacts/brooktrout.asp.
Rock bass State Records:
Picture Angler Weight Date Location & Notes
Earl Jenkins IV 1 lb, 8 oz 03/22/2010

Young Earl Jenkins IV has been fishing since he could stand up by himself according to his proud father. At the age of 3-1/2 years old our little fisherman appears to be our youngest fisherman in Maryland to ever set a state record. Earl was fishing with his dad at a favorite farm pond near where they live in Thurmont, Maryland on March 17th casting a small chartreuse grub lure with his ultra-light spinning outfit. Something grabbed it and began to put up quite a tussle but Earl was able to bring it to shore. Earl's catch was a 1lb, 8oz rock bass that measured 12" long; the largest ever registered in Maryland. Rock bass or Redeye as they are often called are a member of the sunfish family and Earl's rock bass was about as big as they get. His dad kept it alive in an ice chest filled with water till they could get it weighed on a certified scale. They then decided to keep it alive in the live well of the family fishing boat overnight and transported it to the Bass Pro Shop aquarium the following day; where it is hoped to be put on display.

#6 ·
I caught this here 36" rock bass very early this morning, put up one h_ll of a fight! She fought like a 40 pounder! My reel was actually heating-up. I figure it was the strong incoming tide combined with the strength of the fish that made it seem like it had good size. When I boated the great fish, right away I noticed it looked fatter than any other rock bass I caught this size. As I started to dress the bass, these here green sacks fell out of it's belly. So, that's why the fish was so fat.

Are these green sacks rock bass eggs? Never saw rock bass eggs before. I have seen other species of fish eggs...they are usually tanish color.

If these are eggs, she was still heading up the bay to spawn. These fish have been here for almost 2 months already! March third, during C&R, we caught seven in two hours, all trophy sized keepers. From what I spotted on my fish finder today, the waters were full of fish this morning...bait fish and bass! Some bass are heading south exiting the bay after completing the spawn, and some are heading north still needing to spawn. All are eating!

Too bad a caught one of the ones heading north, I would rather catch this old gal after she completed her spawn!
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

#7 ·
i figure you can eat the roe like any other or use it for bait/ chum. now that you have it seems a shame to waist them. there must be ways to tell if they have roe or not. so as you can release them ... i think females should be released anyhow when they get that size.

#10 ·
Rockfishseeker - Most Rockfish over 36 inches will be females. I do not know of any way to tell if it is a male or female from outside.

As you saw though - a female full of roe ( eggs ) will appear very plump. The males and spawned out females will be longer / leaner most times.

Congrats on a nice fish.

#12 ·
Nice fish! The minute after she spawns, her body start's making new eggs for next year. So it doesn't matter a dead fish is a dead fish. You can't can't tell the sex of the fish unless it's spew'n milt or eggs with out cut'n it open. Glad ya caught dinner. How did ya cook it? Got a good recipe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.