Tidal Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cost of a dozen minnows

Good Information 
22K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  slidemnt 
#1 ·
$2.25 per dozen at Wallace's Bait & Tackle seems high to me. Maybe it is because I usually catch my own prior to going out and have not kept up with the spiraling price of minnows.

#2 ·
That IS high for a dozen Gudgeons im my opinion , they have been THREE BUCKS a dozen at a great tackle shop on the southside for years now. I think 2bucks a dozen is a fair price but i pay the price they charge because i dont have time to catch my own when i want them. It really chafes me to pay that much for them ,especially when i make a personal statement to myself by buying all my tackle from them to help support the little guy instead of a cheaper big box but what are ya gonna do.:mad:

#8 ·
People are certainly entitled to their own opinions...its what makes this conunrty what it is....BUT, Randy works hard to keep bait for folks who don't have the ability or capacity or even the gumption to get their own bait....he's in business to make money...thats how he takes care of his bills and family....when you go after him on a forum like this, it can hurt his business....Go plant a garden or tie some jigs or something else besides bash a local Bait and Tackle shop over some bait price....

#11 ·
Well said my friend 2.25 is a steal to get your bait and get on the water fast . Buy the traps, load the boat, set and haul, unload, plumb a tank, pay the elec bill...fuel for the boat .....etc I'll buy them all day from him for the effort alone!

#12 ·
Here is what state code says about licenses and selling minnows.

A. In accordance with § 28.2-241 C of the Code of Virginia, only persons who hold a valid Commercial Fisherman Registration License may sell, trade, or barter their harvest, or give their harvest to another, in order that it may be sold, traded, or bartered. Only these licensees may sell their harvests from Virginia tidal waters, regardless of the method or manner in which caught. Exceptions to the requirement to register as a commercial fisherman for selling harvest are authorized for the following persons or firms only:

1. Persons taking menhaden under the authority of licenses issued pursuant to § 28.2-402 of the Code of Virginia.

2. Persons independently harvesting and selling, trading, or bartering no more than three gallons of minnows per day who are not part of, hired by, or engaged in a continuing business enterprise.

a. Only minnow pots, a cast net or a minnow seine less than 25 feet in length may be used by persons independently harvesting minnows.

b. All other marine species taken during the process of harvesting minnows shall be returned to the water immediately.</purse>

#18 ·
I always catch my own gudgeons but $2.25 seems pretty reasonable. I wouldn't expect to find them any cheaper. That's a steal compared to large shiners, they are usually right around $5.00 a dozen. Maybe $3.99 in the sticks, and you might get more than you paid for if you're friendly.

Gudgeons aren't hard to catch though. Wherever you are putting your boat out, throw a trap baited with freshly smashed crab (fiddlers work well) and leave it for 10 or so minutes. By the time you have the boat ready to go you should have some minnows.

Or just buy them if you can afford to and support our local tackle shops. There's no harm in that.

#22 ·
It is state code so it is hard to say exactly why, but I bet that the following:

2. Persons independently harvesting and selling, trading, or bartering no more than three gallons of minnows per day who are not part of, hired by, or engaged in a continuing business enterprise.

Was put in to cover your basic teenager catching bait and selling it at the dock as a hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.