Sad News 55 Million Gallons of Raw Sewage Equals:

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 55 Million Gallons of Raw Sewage Equals:

To put things into perspective:

The Patapsco Pump Station release an estimated 55 Million Gallons of untreated sewage into the Patapso River earlier this year.

I did some quick math and it appears that 55 Million Gallons is equal to the volume of Fifty (50) Baltimore World Trade Centers:

Name:  200px-Wtc-baltimore.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  16.2 KB

or, a 55 gallon drum diameter pipe (22.5") that could reach the International Space Station - and back plus 60 miles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5811264090_7449480e8a_z.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	60309

All because of a weld failure with no redundant backup plan.

Something has to get fixed with these pumping stations - they fail quite often.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Bottom Knocker's Avatar

A very CRAPPIE situation.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat"-Police Chief Brody..

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Damn, that's alot, although I think your baltimore world trade center calculations are a bit off. If you believe Wikipedia, I would assume the footprint is about the size of the basement (20,000 square feet). Take the 20,000 x 405 ft height and you get a volume of about 8 million square feet x 7.5 gallons per square foot and you get about 60,000,000 gallons. So about the volume of the building is what was spilled. Still a crazy amount.

How bout 83 olympic sized swimming pools volume worth??

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It is 55 seconds of outflow at the CCNP. That's a lotta liquid!

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I hope the state intends on using the new flush tax money to fix potential messes like this.

Oh wait, that'll happen.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Wow. You never quite visualize things when some says 55 million gallons other than thinking that's a ton of crap. When you put it like that it's just absurd that we continue to let these spills happen week after week year after year in Maryland. For all the taxes in this state you would think they'd be able to find a few dollars to fix things....unblievable

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I have pledged to write ten letters complaining, and 10 emails to different folks.
    I promise to keep my word.
    ?? Who will Join Me, in raising a little hell to get attention for the bay?? thank you gents.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Ya think they're trying to stock the Patapsco brown trout? Somebody has to take responsibility for this. We can't go on without finding out who can get these issues addressed and fixed. Was out this AM down on Possum Pt. and water quality was terrible due to stuff like this.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I should have sued the state citing such spills when my son had to have a lymphnode surgically removed that got infected from swimming in the bay. Heck, my wife doesnt let the kids swim in the bay now and it cost me a pool membership every year.. (We have seen the O'Malley family at the pool so I guess he wont let his kid swim in the bay either.)

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Maybe Omalley should get an invite to go water skiing in bear creek,and if he can't ski,I'd take him tubing.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast