Question fuel gauge reads full all the time
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default fuel gauge reads full all the time

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help, my fuel gauge reads full the whole time the key is on, and drops back to empty when the key is off is it the gauge, float or sending unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you have a full tank of fuel.
    If not, the Float and sender it all one contraption that slides down into your tank. Yours may be defective or the Float is stuck in the full position or both . DISCONNECT BATTERIES and take it out to check it if it's easy to access.

Blog Entries

Not sure how anyone can tell you the answer over the Internet ....... I had a bad gauge once and had to replace it ...... It could be in the tank ..... Trouble shoot both

It is probably the sender, they go bad more frequently than the gauges do. To check which one it is, access the top of the tank sender, you will see two wires, if you disconnect one of them and the gauge goes to zero, the sender is bad. If it goes to zero, try touching the two wires together,, no voltage is there, so no spark, don't worry about that, if the gauge goes back to full it is certainly the sender. If the gauge stays full no matter what, then the gauge is bad or possibly the wiring between the sender and the gauge. Good luck with it, it isn't hard to change the sender, but you do have to take it out of the tank, so do be careful about any ignition source when you take it out.

Damn! I wish mine would do that, Mine always seems to be stuck on empty

This wont directly answer your question but check out this web page for a great explanation of how the gauge and sending unit work.http://auto.howstuffwom/fuel-gauge1.htm

web site link attempt 2........http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-gauge1.htm

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Be very careful not to send any current into the sending unit or else KABOOOM No joke. Sounds like the sending unit. Once you take the unit out of the tank measure from the bottom of the tank to the top edge so you know what size unit you need. Good luck. Martin

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have one of these in my boat and it works GREAT! The developer of the device is a Tidalfish member and he may join in on the conversation. How about it Jeff?

BTW, another GREAT feature is that this device will alert you to the presence of free water (read condensation or something else) in your fuel tank).

http://www.tidewatersensors.com/

Joe