Question Gilmerton Bridge open for marine traffic?
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question Gilmerton Bridge open for marine traffic?

I have emailed and left VM for a Chief in the Coast Guard and emailed VMRC trying to find out if I can go under the Gilmerton bridge this weekend. I dont need a bridge lift as long as the N&S bridge is up. I am trying to figure out where I am going to launch for fishn, grilln, and chilln? Any info would be appreciated.

I know they had the float on several days ago but not sure if it is safe enough for marine traffic.
    Available to HO-Have plenty of gear as I kept it all-757-418-1966 Bobby Allen P-Town Va.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have the same question. On the website, it says "Marine updates about channel restrictions at the Gilmerton Bridge can be accessed by consulting the USCG local notice to mariners and the USCG broadcast on VHF channel 16." Unfortunately I don't have a VHF at the house.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

As for real time status of the bridge info, look on the VDOT website and there should be a phone number for the Bridge.

As for your Notice to Mariners... here ya go....http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm05022013.pdf. The LNM comes out every week and its a good idea for any competent mariner to view these and update their charts weekly. You guys do update your charts weekly dont ya? lol.

page 19

Just tryn to figure out where to launch. Not that it matters that much. We will chill and have fun period.
    Available to HO-Have plenty of gear as I kept it all-757-418-1966 Bobby Allen P-Town Va.

update

AIWW Mile: 5.8

Reported By: Ted Stehle (WG Staff)

The following was received from the CG 5th District today.

MARINERS ARE ADVISED THAT TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION OF THE NEW GILMERTON BRIDGE SPAN, AT AIWW MILE 5.8, ACROSS THE ELIZABETH RIVER SOUTHERN BRANCH IN CHESAPEAKE, FROM 7:30 AM SATURDAY 12 JAN 2013 TO 7:30 AM MONDAY 21 JAN 2013, THE LIFT SPAN WILL OPERATE AS FOLLOWS: DURING THE DAY, FROM 7:30 AM TO 7:30 PM, THE BRIDGE SPAN NEED ONLY OPEN EVERY HOUR ON THE HALF-HOUR; AND AT NIGHT, FROM 7:30 PM TO 7:30 AM, THE BRIDGE SPAN NEED NOT OPEN. THE AVAILABLE VERTICAL CLEARANCE IN THE CLOSED POSITION TO VESSELS IS APPROXIMATELY 35 FEET ABOVE MHW. MARINERS ABLE TO PASS UNDER THE CLOSED SPAN MAY DO SO AT ANYTIME AND SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA. MARINERS REQUIRING A BRIDGE OPENING SHOULD ADJUSTS THEIR TRANSITS ACCORDINGLY.

found this online on the waterway cruising guide... i was wondering the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by captdavdavis01 View Post
    As for real time status of the bridge info, look on the VDOT website and there should be a phone number for the Bridge.

As for your Notice to Mariners... here ya go....http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm05022013.pdf. The LNM comes out every week and its a good idea for any competent mariner to view these and update their charts weekly. You guys do update your charts weekly dont ya? lol.

page 19
    Years ago I did sign up to get emailed the notice to mariners info. As of yesterday I could not find the answer. Look like I will out in at city park. Got to go catch some bait and marinane our BBQ food! Thanks for the information!

I saw a notice earlier that it was closed to vehicular and marine traffic due to the work being done on replacing the bridge span---welding, etc.

It's not closed. I went under it today

Quote Originally Posted by vbmatt05 View Post
    It's not closed. I went under it today
    Thanks for the ifo sir!

In the cove with 24 other mofo's. Seen 4 fish caught.