Fishing Report raising mud minnows?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default raising mud minnows?

I saw on a fishing show earlier today that explain briefly about raising mud minnows. I've heard about doing it before and I was to do it . Last year while using minnows for perch in march just about all of the minnows had eggs. I was thinking about putting out my 3 traps and collecting minnows each day for a week. And then raising them in a fish tank. Has anyone ever done this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If you have access to water you can keep them in some sort of pen, like the way people keep spot in the summertime. Just throw in some food every few days or so (bread, pet food, old bait, shells after eating crabs, etc.) and they'll be fine. You can also keep them in minnow buckets tied to a dock as long as they're not overcrowded and it doesn't get too cold and freeze. My friend has a fish tank and has put minnows in there from time to time and they live well. As far as raising them from eggs I'm not sure how that would work in a fish tank.

I mainly want to raise them for flounder fishing in the upper bay, and make them all big fat minnows, because when we flounderfish and were out of big minnows, we start catching shorts. Even if the eggs don't hatch that's fine, as long as they grow big

Upper bay flounder??
    I never knew such a creature excisted ?

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! Rick Holt's Avatar

In the past I would trap them and keep them in a large styrofoam cooler out of the direct sun with an aquarium air pump for months at a time. Never had luck indoors I think because it is too warm. Anyway I'd change the water when it got funky being careful not to use chlorinated water. If you live near waterfront you could even just dip some fresher water from there every now and then. Avoid a big temp difference when you change the water, they will belly up pretty quick if you shock them. Biggest problem I would have was extreme cold and freezing every now and then. As far as getting them to hatch eggs, not sure about that.
    Catch 'em up!
    If I'm not fishin' I'm probably Down on the Farm

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...vy)?highlight=

- - - Updated - - -

Will they survive tap water or should I still use water from my pier

Blog Entries

pier

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Why not just trap them when ya need them?

Its a lot easier to scoop how many you need out of a fishtank, I will still trap them when perch fishing, I just want to grow them big for flounder

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Prolly not going to be able to keep many in an aquarium. Build a cage and keep them in the river off the pier. You could prolly sink a pickle barrel.

http://www.gma.org/fogm/Fundulus_heteroclitus.htm

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast