Fun Post: Steaming Crabs. How? With? What? Post recipes and tactics.
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default Fun Post: Steaming Crabs. How? With? What? Post recipes and tactics.

Hey Fellas,

With the upcoming season fastly approaching, I wanted to start a thread with the in and outs of how you steam, or boil for you non marylanders, your crabs.

I have my tried and true method with water, apple cider vinegar, no beer, rolling steam before i drop the crabs in, nice coating of JO seasoning, never old bay!! Timing all amounts to how many are in the steamer. I have even thrown some onion in the water for more flavor. Maybe throw some corn on top of crabs while steaming in the husk? or husked?

Have you ever tried grilling the crab? opening them up like a crab on the half shell and throwing them on the grill.

I dont believe in using beer or old bay and I know some of you may swear by that. And i like apple cider vinegar better than just plain ole white.

Do you dip the meat in vinegar or butter?

Whats your method for hoping they wont "pop" the claws while steaming?

Keg steamer or stainless?

This should be fun to share recipes and see how everyone else does it.

Kevin

I've been following the recipe on this site www.crabtips.com/how-to-cook-crabs.html. I think it's the best recipe to steam crabs. They always turn out perfect, plump and juicy meat, great taste! I sometimes dip the claw meat in apple cider vinegar but I use white vinegar to steam'em.

Since I almost always steam a bushel at a time hereís my method.
    84 qt Hartford SS pot sold by our friend Chuck at Chesapeake Crabbing Supply in Hartford county and by Tristate Marine Tackle in Deale. This is the best pot Iíve used bar none.
    Fill the bottom with water to about 2Ē better to much water than to boil it out and burn the crabs.
    1pt Apple Cider (No Beer) Drink the Beer while waiting for the crabs to steam!
    If Iím at the market Iíll sprinkle some JO#2 in the liquid to send the aroma out once it gets to boiling and get a customer who all of a sudden wants to eat crabs!
    I donít add the crabs which are in the insert basket and raised off the bottom 4-6Ēs
    Until the water in boiling with steam.
    I layer the crabs with seasoning JO#2. We like to add corn (husk on) on top and seasoned with JO also.
    25 to 30 minutes depending on the quality of the crabs. Light crabs donít take as long to steam.
    Thatís it, works for us!

I do the same, no beer. Add water and vinegar, heath to get steam going. Add crabs, corn and those little red potatoes. Lots of JO seasoning.

im surprised so far that no one has said they use rock salt.

If you use JO theres no need with flake salt in the spice mix.

I have found about the same timing Capt. Dale for my crabs also. Might be cuz we are in the same river!! lol

No BEER???? That's just sacrilege! Always gotta pour a little for the homies, Natty Boh at that

Same as above....water, apple cider vinegar, Jo #2 AND 1-2 bottles of Sam Adams cherry wheat beer. Steam 25-30 minutes. I have always added beer more out of tradition than anything else....usually just what I had left over in the garage fridge. Tried the Sam Adams two years ago and now I won't steam crabs without it. Give it a try.

1 part beer, 1 part apple cider vinegar, 2 parts water. Harbor spice mix #1436.
    Flatten the beer first.

Fill the pot and thrown in a couple of plain peeled yellow onions that have been split in quarters, but not all of the way through, just enough so they start to spread open. Sprinkle onion top with seasoning.

Chris

I use the same recipe as the OP except I use beer. Budweiser is preferable.

2 parts beer (light beer, or Natty Boh), 2parts vinegar, 2parts water. Bring liquid to a boil before adding seasoned crabs. I do use Old Bay with added sea salt. I throw a couple shucked ears of corn on the top. I've also heard guys talk about throwing a few cleaned hardheads on top of the crabs. Anyone else tried this idea? Maybe you prefer another fish? Perch, Rockfish?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast