Tidal Fish Forum banner

Crab Live Box

19K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  POLECAT 
#1 ·
My old crab Live box finally bit the dust and now it is time to build a new one. My old box was 5' x 4' x 3 foot deep and it was hard to dip the crabs out of it. I have seen larger box's like 7 x 4 that look to be about 8 inches deep. I would like some opinions on the best type of live boxes and maybe if someone had a design I could follow I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks..Tim

#2 ·
I helped my grandfather build several of them when I was in my early teens. Not much to building one............ Most of the lumber we used was found floating after storms. Typical dimention was 8' L X 3' or 4' W X 12" Deep. About 2" to 3" from the top edge we attached a 1" X 8" board that was perpindicular to the side walls. This board was attached completely around the perimeter and it provided additional buoyancy so the sides would ride higher above the water surface. There was also another 1" X 4" board attached to the extreme top, encasing the inside wall, which prevented the crabs from climbing out.
Nowadays, 4" schedule 40 (or lighter) PVC is used to encircle the live box for buoyancy.

#3 ·
I'm in the process of making a large one as well. Using angle Iron (Galvanized) and steel mesh. Welding it all. I'll post pics when it's complete. It will not float (obviously) but rather sit on the bottom when the upper water column gets too warm as well, haven't seen a heron yet that can spear a crab 8 ft down. [smile]

#6 ·
Interesting!
No Cramping like Jerry said or they will die.

Post a Pix when done if able!

#8 ·
I saw a live box over the weekend that I believe it is what I'm looking for, my only question is about using treated lumber somebody told me that there is toxins in the treated lumber that will kill the crabs. Has anybody ever heard of this?

Tim

#10 ·
What's this about the "cramping" of crabs? I typically collect a couple of dozen over the course of a week, and they seem to survive fine in a keeper pot about the same size as a crab pot.

Once in a while, I'll find an empty shell in there, but my guess is that a crab had shed and the other guys ate it.

Other than that, I don't really see any undue mortality.

How cramped is cramped?

#11 ·
Rather than chiken wire you can use heavy duty nylon coated 1" screening. It'll last longer, is stronger and won't "grab" your mess net as bad. The only down side is that, if you feed your crabs, the old/rotten bait will have to be cleaned/scooped out if the grabs don't eat it all. Also makes a good livewell perch/spot for rockfishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.