Question YAMAHA HPDI vs. OX66 Motors Reliability
    Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! Sushi Seaker's Avatar

Default YAMAHA HPDI vs. OX66 Motors Reliability

I have a friend looking for a boat like my Grady 208. I have the 225 2 stroke Yamaha OX66 motor on it while the boat he is looking at has a smaller but slightly newer 2003 150 HPDI motor. I think old posts I read used to question the reliability of the HPDI motors?? Can anyone refresh my memory...thought HPDI's had issues with blowing heads...

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

I've got the OX66 225HP. I think it is one of the better motors that Yamaha has made. I have been very happy with it. All motors are great till they break down.

For the HPDI you might want to try the Hull Truth.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...-problems.html

Good luck

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think the ox66 was an awesome motor & very reliable. The HPDI engines were great up until you got over the 200. The 250 & 300hp models were known for blowing heads & cylinders.

Roger
    "Crack Of Dawn"
    Scout 280 Sportfish

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have an old 1999 150 OX66 on a Grady 180 that runs like new with just regular maintenance. That's reliability.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have a pair of 04 200 hpdi's, had one issue that tricked me for a while, ended up being two fuel injectors that wouldn't meet spec when hot, the rest has been basic maintenance - plugs, impeller, vst filters. They are awesome motors and I wouldn't trade them.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fish 827 View Post
    I have an old 1999 150 OX66 on a Grady 180 that runs like new with just regular maintenance. That's reliability.
    Ditto...mine is a 2000 200 OX66 on 20' Jones Bros. Runs like the day I bought it. Keep O2 sensor clean, change plugs, replace impeller/ water pump every couple of years, use fresh gas and go. Never had a hiccup. No question one of the best motors Yamaha ever made.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've got a 200 hpdi on a 208 grady and it runs great. bought the boat a couple years ago with very very low hrs and changed filters , cleaned the o2 sensor etc and been very happy. pretty decent on fuel also. I believe I had heard it was the 250's and up that had some problems.