Fishing Report Potomac River - 9/2
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors

Default Potomac River - 9/2

Started out casting topwater and swimming plugs to the rocks along the shore all the way around St Clement's Island at first light, but only caught one small blue. Gave up after about an hour and went to the rock pile near Tall Timbers. We marked what looked to be good-sized fish near the bottom, but had no takers LTJ'ng. Tide was slack, so that didn't help. Decided to run down to the mouth of the river to look for blues and Spanish. Started trolling just off Pt Lookout and caught one quick keeper blue 15-16". My friend steering the boat circled back too quickly and created quite the birds nest. After undoing that, no more takers, so we worked toward Smith Pt Lt. As we got closer to Va, we saw much more bait on the surface and some huge bait balls on the finder, as well as pelicans and gulls. No real breaking fish. We generally followed,the birds, and caught 30-40 blues, and lost at least that many reeling them in. We lost fewer fish one we slowed down to reel them in. Most were small, 8-10", but we kept four in the 15-16" range. The Hunt. drones out caught the Clark's spoons, and chartreuse did better than chrome or pink. The #1 planer 90-120' back caught most, caught some on 2oz 150' back and only two on #2 planer 75' back. That #2 planer puts a hell of a load on the rod at 5.5 kts. No luck at all on Spanish. Weather was a little dubious early, but it was beautiful by midday, just like FishWeather predicted.

BoneDoc
    Everglades 260CC
    "Big Trouble"

Thanks for the report

great job! Dinks are better than being skunked ... blues especially on the grill :)

Know what you mean about #2 planer, I recently bought 2- 30/80lb rods just for #2 planers. but they will be good for rock also.
    I noticed many here seem run their planers much farther away from boat than I do. I 'm not sure about measurements away from boat, but I run my #2 planers at top of first wake (away from boat @3') . #1 planers are run @ 20 ft away from were the #2 enters water. (I believe its generally front of 3rd wake)
    I often run a 5th line , with 4-5oz way out back. ( beyond the distance -the #1 planer would be if it has fish on) If they are hitting up top, I switch to 2 in-line and 2 #1 planers.
    I can easily make a 180 turn with no tangles..

BTW, I do believe that running exact pairs of rods helps the lines "track" each other, preventing crossing lines.
    ( rod, reel, #test of line are same )