Boats for Crabbing
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Boats for Crabbing

I was browsing the internet to search for a boat that is practical for crabbing. I`m not ready to buy one yet, but I`d like to see pictures of boats that will work for crabbing. All I can find are bass boats and pleasure boats or speed boats. Seems like they don`t make a boat that has a flat bottom with a V-hull and can have a cover over the top. The only boats that I can find pics of are the Tracker boats. They look like they have enough room for all the equipment and be able to swing the net around to the basket.
    Does anyone know of some websites of boats with pics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

Crabby Daddy,
    Check out Carolina Skiff.com.
    I see more and more Comm in them.
    I have one and love it.

Or, get an old trihull with a walk thru windsheild. Repower, new steering, and I hear they are excellent for crabbing. Outboard only of course, in my book.

Good Luck!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Oh Dave Please, Not the Skiff pictures again[grin]

Burchbeer,
    What model do you have? Is it one of the totally flat bottom ones? If so does it pound bad in open water? Thanks.

Mike

JB,
    No pix from me. Never have posted pix.
    I hope to someday.

Mburrows....
    I have an older 1995 model 19 foot flat bottom with Honda.
    I stick to river fishing and crabbing with it, but have taken it out into Ebay when wx is good.
    Yes is does bang and gets wet in rough wx.
    It is a crabbing and fishing platform that I love for what I do.
    They make much more enhanced models now.

I think it is a good boat for the buck and will get you out and back without bankrupting you.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Burchbeer, I can`t really tell what I`m looking at from the pics on the website, so I put in a request for a catalog.

I put together a used 17' flat bottom Carolina skiff with the smallest console they sell mounted on the side (nothing else in the boat to get in my way) with a new 40 hp 4 - stroke engine per the advice of RJ and Polecat - it is great.

If you would like to look at the boat or the way it is set up let me know - you are welcome to come look at it! Great on gas , relatively easy to tow to go to different places, etc.

As I told the guys recently - i thought I knew a lot about crabbing - they continue to show me new ideas and trick of the trade. As stated before....the guys on this board are great.

Finally...come to Snoodfest later this year - meet folks and see how it's done. [wink]

CrabbyDaddy,
    I you really get interested in CS, Ill try to hook you up with Kevin, owner of Caroline Boating Center in the Greensboro on the ES.

I got the number but its at work. Top notch guy with lots of knowledge that gives customers what they need but doesnt try to sell you something you dont need or want.

DB

I'm riding a 1989 17' BW Whaler Montauk and couldn't be happier. I re-powered with a 90 yamaha in 1999 and in 2003 I added a 6 hp yamaha 4 stroke for trotlining. On the kicker I can run 5kts and don't burn any gass. I can cross the bay in almost any weather without pounding, and I've trailered it from maine to the key's numerous times. I've caught everything from wahoo to cod in it, it trailers good, It only holds 22 gallons of gas but I've had it 15 miles offshore all day and had gas to spare when I returned. I can sleep on it, and it fit's it in my garage, it's like a swiss army boat. [grin]

Hey, CrabDaddy,

Check out this site.

http://www.bateau.com/categories.php?cat=27

If you know what you want, build it. I built my 14' skiff from 1/4" plywood and then wrapped it in fiberglass. Had no idea what I was doing and it's been great for crabbing. Over the winter, I'm hoping to build exactly what I want and need in a crabbing boat.

Build your own or look for a hull. Either way, it's still a fun site to peruse.

Bob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast