crabbing in low or high tide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default crabbing in low or high tide

a novice crabber here. just curious as to which is the best crabbing. i have heard 2 hours before high tide and some say 2 hours before low tide can anyone tell me what is the difference and how long before or after the tides are the best to crab. and does getting out there during sun up make a huge difference Thanks Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have found that as long as the tide is moving you will catch. The later in the day it is the more drop offs I have when running a trot line with traps I have found little difference in time of day.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Usually as long as the tide is moving I catch crabs.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

#1: early am-first light
    #2:moving tide- the bite usually seems to turn off during slack tide

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I would concure as long as the tide is moving crabs are biting. I crab all differnet times of the day O-dark early, mid day and evening till sunset.

The only thing I have noticed is that during the day when the sun is bright they drop off the line earlier to combat this I slack my line some I have better luck early or late or overcast grey days anytime the tide is moving

Tomcat

When the tide is moving you have better luck. Everything plus fish bite better on a moving tide. Frank

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

thanks for the help but my main question was when does the tide move the most, if high tide or low tide is @ 6:30am would it be better crabbing before or after 6:30 Thanks

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Your simple question is not as simple as you may think and does require a degree of research. The location you intend to crab is needed to give you an accurate answer.

Using the info obtained at: http://www.tides.com/CGI-BIN/TCWEB.EXE will give you a better idea of when the ultimate times for water movement (current) are for your particular location. Select CURRENT, not TIDE when you go to this site. Why select current? Because that's what you are interested in actually, not tide!!! It is the horizontal flow of water that carries the scent from the bait to the crabs, not the vertical movement which is what TIDE is.

Epflynn, there`s good info from that site. The only time I use the Tide is when I wash my clothes. [grin]

Agree,
    If you're crabbing for 2-4 hours, you're bound to have moving water at some point.

Get out there early and leave when you catch a bushel. Then after you get home figure out when your best time was and corrolate that with the tide/current for your area....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast