Tidal Fish Forum banner

Sometimes working with Wish a Fish really sucks

Sad News 
3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Riptide1947 
#1 ·
I got involved with Wish a Fish here on Tidal Fish years ago. At first - it was a lot of work but now it's almost all fun. People tease me that it's my second job but I love helping out.

I say almost but not always. When I first was involved - one family had to cancel out at last minute. I told the father we would hold a spot for them next year - he thanked me - than explained the cancer had won , his 9 year old daughter had passed. That was reason they had to cancel.

Now for reason I type this.

Received a few donations in the mail in the last few days - in memory of a young boy who died out of state.

He loved to fish and his family wanted to somehow share his passion with other children. One of their friends told them about Wish a Fish and the family asked donations be sent here.

Wish a Fish sometimes receives donations ( in lieu of flowers ) when someone involved in fishing dies but they have always been much older. Hit hard talking to the boy's aunt - she called to verify the address of WAF. I won't lie - my eyes teared up when she told me he was buried with a fishing rod in his casket.

I assured her every penny will go towards providing a day of fun / fishing for other kids this July. Some of the WAF volunteers made an awesome DVD showing the families having fun - I plan to send his family one , perhaps it will ease their grief a touch.

Even after all these years - I still get excited when a check for WAF arrives. Each one gets us closer to our yearly goal and let's us really treat the 30 or so families to a full blown event.

I'll deposit these checks tomorrow - really wish they never had to be written. One of the rare times I've felt working with WAF sucks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well said.
Skip, you are an ambassador of goodwill. The world would be a better place with more like you in it. These families are very grateful for your tireless work with WAF. So are those who volunteer. Keep up the good work.
PB.

#14 ·
Worm - There are three (3) Committee locations where WAF holds outings for the families, Annapolis, Md. , Hampton, Va., and Ocean City, Md. Each Committee tries to accommodate approximately 30-35 families annually, so the fundraising is quite a task, by many volunteers in each area. Certainly "Hats-Off" is in order for everyone involved in keeping this going for over 10-years now.

The pay-off really .........is the "kids SMILES" that are generated at our events. :))

I can only answer for the Annapolis Committee, and we are having our first annual planning meeting, on Monday, Feb.10, at 6:30 PM at Romano's restaurant, on Ritchie Hgwy., in Glen Burnie, about 1 1/2 miles South of the MVA.
Romano's is a full service restaurant.

Everyone interested is always welcome to attend, we always have room for volunteers.

I hope the weather allows us to have this meeting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.